uninstall ubuntu from ubuntu netbook and instal windows xp netbook without cd w

samtri

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Hi,

Here is an old man trying to become a 'GEEK'!!

I have an HP netbook which came with ubuntu operating system (without CD writer). The BIOS does not offer option of boot from CD.. How do I uninstall ubntu and reinstall both windows XP and ubuntu. I have the XP CD with me.

I am very frustrated having tried diffrent things ....primarily it is because I am not conversant with Linux systems though I like ubuntu. But the liking does not help my work. Please help either load XP or both XP and ubuntu so that I can learn Ubuntu.

Would appreciate your help

Thanks,

Sam

samtri

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012

Hi,

Thank you very much for your guidance. Unfortunately the HP netbook BIOS does not offer the option of booting from CD ROM ... been struggling with this for a while now.

Will have to explore this new gnus - 'virtual box' as advised by you. A brief glimpse that the search provided seems to talk about setting up virtual box with ubuntu as the guest systme ... whereas my problem is that I have ubuntu and want windows as the guest.

Thansk for pointing in the direction of further search ... any further input to navigate me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

reinbert

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
4.) maybe it´s possible to install over network (i remember such an option in the bios menu of my notebook... maybe i´m wrong)

maybe a bios update could help you (by putting the option for "boot from cd" into the menu)

samtri

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012

Thank you very much. I need the sixth sense to handle these techie matters ... I am trying ...will report back if I succeed!

thank you very much

samtri

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012

Hi,

It is a Compaq nc4010 netbook.
Kindly point me in the direction of installing over network.

Thanks,

Sam

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

From a practical standpoint it's not doable. You need a Windows server specifically set up to deploy Windows. There is no 3rd party that offers this kind of service (you can't even buy Win XP anymore) So it's not something you can just find on the 'net. And even if you could I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole! God only knows what you'd actually be installing.

USB boot is your only option. Are you sure that there's no way to boot from CD/DVD drive? Sometimes those old BIOS have things like that turned off by default but you might be able to find it in the BIOS security settings.

samtri

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012