Sign in with
Your question

Brand new PC is freezing :/

Last response: in Systems
May 22, 2007 10:49:42 PM

Hello and thankyou in advanced for reading my post.

I recently built the following pc:

Tagan Easycon XL 700w Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU
Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 Motherboard
2GB (2x1gb) Corsair RAM
Inno3d 8800GTX Video Card
320GB Samsung HDD (SATA)

I am dual booting between XP and VISTA x64.

The problem i am having is that the PC will randomly lock up and will be unrecoverable via CTRL/ALT/DEL or any other method other than a hard reset or power cycle off/on.

The problem first started occurring whilst i was using Vista x64, and would seemingly randomly occur even when PC was not under load.

I could leave the PC on when i went out and could pretty much guarantee that when i returned home later on the PC would be frozen.

I thought Vista x64 was rubbish so i installed XP again. In XP, it does not seem to happen as much within windows, but running games i get constant freezes at random times and intervals.

My CPU is running from 30 to 45 degrees C, with case temps around the same.

I have run prime95 etc overnight and come back and the PC is still OK, no freezing.

So far i have experienced freezes when:

playing games in xp/vista
using vista OS
using convertx to DVD in XP

the m,ajority of freezes happen when playing games though, however as a whole i am not confident that i could leave my pc on idling in windows and come home from work to have it still usable :( 

Any help?

More about : brand freezing

May 22, 2007 11:49:48 PM

Probably a long shot, but have you tried diagnosting the memory?
Try running memtest86+ for a couple of passes.

It can be a pain to troubleshoot this kind of problem, therefore - start ruling out as much hardware as possible, hopefully that would boil it down to a few possibilities...

I experienced freezes on my system too however they usually occured when launching multiple processes, not during idle. Sometimes also just a sudden, unwarned reboot would happen.
It turned out to the memory as I had not set the manufacturer recommended memory voltage when I lowered the memory timings from motherboard defaults.

I read in another thread in here someone mentioned for Vista they needed a special patch to make it run with 4GB of memory - never had the problem my self though...
May 22, 2007 11:53:14 PM

Quote:
Probably a long shot, but have you tried diagnosting the memory?
Try running memtest86+ for a couple of passes.

It can be a pain to troubleshoot this kind of problem, therefore - start ruling out as much hardware as possible, hopefully that would boil it down to a few possibilities...

I experienced freezes on my system too however they usually occured when launching multiple processes, not during idle. Sometimes also just a sudden, unwarned reboot would happen.
It turned out to the memory as I had not set the manufacturer recommended memory voltage when I lowered the memory timings from motherboard defaults.

I read in another thread in here someone mentioned for Vista they needed a special patch to make it run with 4GB of memory - never had the problem my self though...

I will give that a shot, however i dont have a floppy drive so i will have to waste a CD and boot memtest instead :)  thanks for the suggestion

any others? :) 
Related resources
May 22, 2007 11:58:12 PM

Quote:
Yea, run memtest. I would recommend for at least an hour.

If anything fails, then raise the memory voltage by 0.1V, and try again. Should fix it.

EDIT:
You might also change the timings, but try voltage first if there is a failure.

I have never changed the memory timings or settings (i simply dont know what im doing so havent tried) - can these still be incorrectly set?
May 23, 2007 12:12:33 AM

Quote:

I have never changed the memory timings or settings (i simply dont know what im doing so havent tried) - can these still be incorrectly set?

Usually the motherboard defaults to a rather conservative setting of 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8-1.85V and this will work with most sticks.
However it COULD be an issue still. Therefore - waste the one CD and do memtest86+ - let it run for at least a couple of passes, 1-2 hours. If no errors are reported there, I believe you can rule out the memory as the cause with pretty good confidence...
May 23, 2007 9:41:00 AM

Which memory do you have? Corsair makes a lot of models, that will give you the setting you want in most cases. Guessing XMS DDR2-800.
May 23, 2007 11:46:35 AM

Samy, how is the BadAxe treating you? Also, how does that Xeon OC? It is still a Conroe, right?
May 23, 2007 1:24:40 PM

Quote:
Samy, how is the BadAxe treating you? Also, how does that Xeon OC? It is still a Conroe, right?

Yes the Xeon 3060 is basically an E6600, same specs, both conroe.
I had no trouble OC'ing it, but truthfully I haven't done a lot of overclocking before this one so I wouldn't really know how it is compared...
The BX mobo is great - but does not really have many features on it compared to similar boards from ie Asus. I initially bought the P5W DH Deluxe from Asus but that gave me a lot of problems (I think the mobo was bad) so I went along with this one instead.
May 23, 2007 2:27:28 PM

Recomended? I don't know. What its set at? 2.50v.

I love my DFI LANParty UT 680i LT! I got it a month or so ago for testing and have never loved a board this much.
!