Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Linux bitrot

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 27, 2012 1:31:34 AM

Gents:

I currently run Ubuntu 10.04LTS on a home-built AMD_965/NV_9800gtx+ system. Nice Hanns 28" monitor. I do **not** game, but use my system for a broad spectrum of communication, engineering & WP applications. Been running Ubuntu esxclusively since U_6.06.

Call me Joe Shmoo lusr, with much Linux experience, but no talent, interest or time to become administratively "involved". I hate the entire GNU motif actually. Like SPOCK, every couple years I write bunches of science C-code , but accepting the free-as-beer goodies I try to keep my distance ....

And LO it's nearly time for another hardware buildout. The INTEL 2xxxk chips are quite amazing and the price **MUST** come down if only because of gravity. I would splurge on a 30" monitor. So naturally it's time for choice of the (new) OS to run that new hardware. I am **more than displeased** with the backward convolution of Linux developers ... from Office_Libre to Unity and dammnear everything piece of hardware support in between. Stuff just doesn't improve, crucial apps do not get written, but rather basic function bitrots! Believe it -- I have had to borrow a friends XP_system to get photos off a digital,camera. It's YOOL_2012 sad , but true.

OTOH I hear very good things about Windows_8. So I ask ... is Linux/Ubuntu desktop in the process of slow motion suicide? Are Linux developers removing usrland support for all, but iPid/pad/pod_type creatures ? And AC/BOFH coldrooms? Can we expect howling_dawg Slackware and Debiolian packs to reclaim control over the namesake recreating a byteboyz-only environs?

No excuses or defense please ... just the hard cold underbelly if anyone knows it.

More about : linux bitrot

a b 5 Linux
February 27, 2012 2:52:19 AM

First things first, I'm not too sure what the point of this thread is. Right now it appears it's just here to cause a ruckus/discussion. If this is not the case feel free to let me know. Anyways, here we go...

nss000 said:
Call me Joe Shmoo lusr, with much Linux experience, but no talent, interest or time to become administratively "involved". I hate the entire GNU motif actually. Like SPOCK, every couple years I write bunches of science C-code , but accepting the free-as-beer goodies I try to keep my distance ....

First off, just out of my own curiosity, what about the GNU motif do you not like? I just don't see how somebody could feel as strongly as to say they 'hate' a movement that is intended to provide freedom with computing. I know it's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. Again, just curious for my own reasons, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

nss000 said:
So naturally it's time for choice of the (new) OS to run that new hardware. I am **more than displeased** with the backward convolution of Linux developers ... from Office_Libre to Unity and dammnear everything piece of hardware support in between. Stuff just doesn't improve, crucial apps do not get written, but rather basic function bitrots! Believe it -- I have had to borrow a friends XP_system to get photos off a digital,camera. It's YOOL_2012 sad , but true.

No offense, but the fact that you stated you exclusively use Ubuntu doesn't help to validate these claims. I agree, Ubuntu is frankly turning to sh*t. However, it's not fair to make these claims towards Linux (or any open-source OS at that) when you only use one distribution with a very abnormal focus. What "crucial apps" aren't being written? If programs are in high demand, they get written. I can't think of any application that thousands plus people want to use that hasn't had any attention paid to it.

nss000 said:
OTOH I hear very good things about Windows_8. So I ask ... is Linux/Ubuntu desktop in the process of slow motion suicide? Are Linux developers removing usrland support for all, but iPid/pad/pod_type creatures ? And AC/BOFH coldrooms? Can we expect howling_dawg Slackware and Debiolian packs to reclaim control over the namesake recreating a byteboyz-only environs?

I would say not at all. Ubuntu is going in a unique direction, and we'll all see how that turns out for them, but there are many other distributions that are making great strides. As for supporting devices, the reason the i-devices have such great support is their widespread adoption. Nobody is going to go out of their way to support a device that only hundreds/thousands of people use. There has to be widespread adoption before support is provided.
Score
a b 5 Linux
February 27, 2012 2:54:00 AM

ok what the hell are you talking about? Bitrot? Really? Just no.

Troll posts not welcome here.
Score
a b 5 Linux
February 27, 2012 2:58:53 AM

This thread is closed.
Score
!