WIndows XP BSOD and attempted repair

mastermike14

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Ok so my computer was running fine then my computer froze so i wanted to restart my computer on my laptop so i held down the power button to shut it off. i restarted my computer and went to get a drink for when i came back windows was running a check disk and deleted some entries then said it was inserting a value $ into file id 4 or something like that and just keep looping that message. Anyways i just held down the power button again to restart(ok so holding down the power button is probably what caused the problem but windows was freaking out on me so i hit the power button) and when it restarted i got the BSOD. i did a little research and my findings were that holding down the power button caused file corruption and the file corruption is why im getting the BSOD. now i had a windows xp installation disk. I inserted that into my computer and booted from cd. it loads all the files and then goes straight to asking me to select a partition to set up windows xp on and does not give me the option to run a repair. Please help me!

Ok heres the problems though:
Reformatting is not an option, this is a school computer issued by the state, a recovery is the only option.

Specs:
Windows XP Professional(unsure of service pack, does this matter? its new enough to be windows vista compatible, although since this is a school issued computer the windows installation cd is for windows xp Professional, slipstreamed with service pack 1, so the installation cd might have been made than the laptop was made. )
Intel Core Duo Processor 1.66 GHZ with 512 ram
Dell Latitude D520

EDIT: BSOD Error Code
STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x82d2ce18,0xc0000102,0x00000000)

mastermike14

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
k but i have windows xp not 2000 and i can not even boot into windows. Safe mode, etc do not work. i dont have another laptop and i dont think my computer will read a laptop hdd

mastermike14

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
thanks for the links but im dont know how to boot into the recovery console because when i boot from cd is goes directly to Partition is either damaged, corrupted, or too full. please select a partition.....It says i have to reformat my hard drive, which is not an option for me. is there anyway to boot directly into recovery console or chkdsk? i tried looking for it on the internet and that link you gave me says follow all the steps or launch recovery console.

but the problems are i cant even get into the recovery console and reformatting is not an option.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
take it back to the school IT department and get them to re-image the drive.

if your desperate to save anything on it you could try taking the hard drive out and putting it in a external caddy, copy the files to another machine before putting it back in the machine and then getting the school IT people to wipe it.