Sign in with
Your question

Zhone 6218 wireless router software for linux

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 27, 2012 1:53:25 PM

Hello, i cannot access the installation cd on linux and so i can not use the router. pls help

a b 5 Linux
February 27, 2012 4:12:33 PM

I've yet to find a router that you needed the CD that comes with them. Normally all they do is set your IP address and install the user guide. Almost all routers have a web based administration tool. Do you have a network cable to hand that you could connect to it? If so then connect to any of the 4 ports on the back and power it up and follow these steps:

Boot the PC and it should get a network connection.
Open your web browser and type '192.168.1.1' into the address bar and hit return

You should then see the login screen for the router. The login details are set as:

User: Admin
Password: Admin

Login and you have full access to configure the device. Just follow the steps in the manual that came with the device.

Even if you're running wireless you should still be able to do it. Just scan for the device from your PC and it should show up. Just login to it via a browser in the same way I described above.
m
l
February 28, 2012 10:55:04 AM

hi, i am still not able to do this. the cd doesnt work in linux and my wireless router i can get to hook up. i tried what u said but to no success. any other alternatives. i use linux moonos. my router is zhone 6218 wireless router. thnx
m
l
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
February 28, 2012 7:44:48 PM

Seriously, you do not need the CD to get it to work. Trust me on this, I've done it a few times and with a few different routers.

At what step in the process did you have issues? We can walk through it step by step.

m
l
March 7, 2012 12:37:26 AM

ok here it is when i hook up everything i get nothing except for the wireless internet. i am new so i would be happy if u cld guide me thru from beginning to end. also there is a red light on the router that would not come off. i have restarted the wireless router a 100 times now. pls help! oh and the 192.168.1.1 in firefox doesnt work as well....pls help.
m
l
March 7, 2012 12:38:47 AM

oh i use network manager to get wireless Internet connection....
m
l
March 8, 2012 4:59:49 PM

ok here it is when i hook up everything i get nothing except for the wireless internet. i am new so i would be happy if u cld guide me thru from beginning to end. also there is a red light on the router that would not come off. i have restarted the wireless router a 100 times now. pls help! oh and the 192.168.1.1 in firefox doesnt work as well....pls help.
i also use network manager to get wireless internet connection. thnx
m
l
a b 5 Linux
March 9, 2012 3:24:33 AM

When you use NetworkManager to get a wireless connection, can you verify that you receive a sane-looking IP address from the router? something presumably in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet?
m
l
March 10, 2012 11:16:29 PM

bmouring said:
When you use NetworkManager to get a wireless connection, can you verify that you receive a sane-looking IP address from the router? something presumably in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet?

Nothing in that range. I am also new. any other suggestions?
m
l
a b 5 Linux
March 12, 2012 6:21:17 AM

Well, what do you see in terms of an IP address for that interface?
m
l
!