Sign in with
Your question

No Automatic Updates, Won't Turn on

Last response: in Windows XP
December 9, 2008 11:55:05 PM

Hello everyone

My laptop recently has developed some annoying habits.
I have XP Media Edition.

At startup, these errors show appear;

The application DLL C:\Windows\system32\qtiifttd.dll is not a valid windows image
Please check this against your installation diskette

Error loading C:\Windows\system32\fxucxoqe.dll
Error loading C:\Windows\system32\fxucxoe.dll
Specified module could not be found

After startup, the following have developed;

Outlook loads, but I can’t use the calendar or any other folder.
Programs locks and doesn’t respond

Windows Update will not turn on
I’ve tried all of the normal/easy stuff

All of my previous word documents now show up as notepad documents.
Word still works, but does not open the wordpad documents automatically.

I haven’t installed any new software lately, but have stayed in several hotels as I’ve been
traveling a lot lately.
Not sure if there’s an easy solution or not, but I thought I’d take this to a higher power

I use Reg Cure and an antivirus that has been flawless on other machines.
SpyBot is running in the background.

Thanks for any help or ideas, and have a Happy Holiday
Bob

More about : automatic updates turn

December 10, 2008 1:21:18 PM

you could try opening up startmenu>run>regedit find the entries for

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

see if any programs you are not aware of are listed, ones you know you dont want to run are listed (remove entries at your own risk, check the random ones in google before hitting the remove key)

for your office problems would be it possible to uninstall/reinstall/repair? this might lead to a loss of any calendar events stored locally, but should hopefully fix it.

the word document issue - try going into tools>folder options (on any open folder) file types - find .doc and set it to open with word. or try the repair/reinstall option.

for the automatic updates - have you checked the 'automatic updates' service is started and running?
and also the 'background intelligent transfer service' is started and running.

i hate to say it but could regcure have removed needed entries? im not familiar with it, but does it keep backups of removed entries?
December 15, 2008 8:53:16 PM

I am having the exact same issues, but my .dll's are named differently. it looks like the .dll's are randomly named. I believe this is a virus of some kind, but my anti-virus software is not finding it.

Can you let me know if you were able to fix your problem?

Thanks.
-Charlie
Related resources
January 11, 2009 1:27:46 AM

I had the same problem... There was a dll files that kept coming up saying cylwdp.dll and so I searched for it in the registry and deleted all of the entries. The message boxes stopped coming up, and I think it resolved the problem.

So try searching for the names of the dll files in the registry by going to run, and typing regedit to open up the registry editor, and then press Ctrl+F to search.
January 11, 2009 5:42:58 PM

bob_nj said:
Hello everyone

My laptop recently has developed some annoying habits.
I have XP Media Edition.

At startup, these errors show appear;

The application DLL C:\Windows\system32\qtiifttd.dll is not a valid windows image
Please check this against your installation diskette

Error loading C:\Windows\system32\fxucxoqe.dll
Error loading C:\Windows\system32\fxucxoe.dll
Specified module could not be found

After startup, the following have developed;

Outlook loads, but I can’t use the calendar or any other folder.
Programs locks and doesn’t respond

Windows Update will not turn on
I’ve tried all of the normal/easy stuff

All of my previous word documents now show up as notepad documents.
Word still works, but does not open the wordpad documents automatically.

I haven’t installed any new software lately, but have stayed in several hotels as I’ve been
traveling a lot lately.
Not sure if there’s an easy solution or not, but I thought I’d take this to a higher power

I use Reg Cure and an antivirus that has been flawless on other machines.
SpyBot is running in the background.

Thanks for any help or ideas, and have a Happy Holiday
Bob

First of all either disable Spybot running in the background or uninstall it period until this problem is resolved, also disable the AV Protection until this check is finished.

Disconnect from the internet if your fearful of disabling your AV protection, [What AV protection is it anyway?]

OK first off, open My Computer, right click the OP/SYS C:\ drive, select Properties, find Click the Error Checking Feature and select all the checks, it will tell you its scheduled an error check on next Restart.

Restart the machine and allow it to run the program, it will correct any errors it finds on the HDD file structure.

If problems still exist the next corrective step is more in depth.

Have your WinXP installation disk handy and click Start, Run, Type in sfc /scannow and press Enter.

Allow the scan process to complete and repair, if it finds a problem it will ask for the WinXP original installation disk, if you only have a restore disk with the laptop that may be a problem.

Do you only have a set of Restore Disks???
January 28, 2009 6:09:56 AM

If you click on this link http://www.connectionwizard.comoj.com/ and go to my malware removal section, there is detailed instructions that will help you. just click on the instructions link. the software is totally free and very easy instructions on using it. Everyone needs to get all the microsoft updates before the worm hits. Microsoft updates has a patch so you won't get it. I hear it's a bad one too. Tell your friends about this site when you are done. The site is currently under construction but I do have all the links for the software up and starting the instructions, now so be patient. Instructions for the first one are already in there.

!