Anyone Have Sony a 30XS955 or 34xs955

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 6, 2005 5:20:34 AM

Is it worth the extra money over the cheaper one" HS420" I don't
really care about cable card that much.

More about : sony 30xs955 34xs955

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 7:30:30 AM

On 06 Jan 2005 02:20:34 GMT, pneski@aol.com (PNeski) wrote:

>Is it worth the extra money over the cheaper one" HS420" I don't
>really care about cable card that much.

The XS955 has a better picture tube and the ATSC tuner, and the
darker trim around the screen looks less fugly than the all-silver
of the HS420, but i don't think the XS is worth the hundreds of
dollars more unless these added features are worth it to you
especially if you have cable or satellite.

There's tons of discussions about these TVs on AVSForum.com

Randy
January 6, 2005 1:28:26 PM

"Randy W" <RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On 06 Jan 2005 02:20:34 GMT, pneski@aol.com (PNeski) wrote:
>
>>Is it worth the extra money over the cheaper one" HS420" I don't
>>really care about cable card that much.

I ended up going with the hs420 because of the 775 price I got it for. It
exceeds my needs and expectations for its use as a bedroom tv. The picture
is outstanding in HD and DVD less so on regular analog cable. I couldn't
see enough of a difference with the other to warrant many hundreds more.
January 6, 2005 9:15:42 PM

Are you sure the tube is actually different? I have heard (unofficial) that
they are the same tube, but other features like audio, ATSC tuner, cable
card make the price difference. I have the 420 and I am very happy with it.

The more and more I get into HD, the more I like plain old HD monitors with
no tuner or cable card slot. Audio isn't a big deal either because any
serious AV fan will have a sound system.

--Dan

"Randy W" <RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On 06 Jan 2005 02:20:34 GMT, pneski@aol.com (PNeski) wrote:
>
>>Is it worth the extra money over the cheaper one" HS420" I don't
>>really care about cable card that much.
>
> The XS955 has a better picture tube and the ATSC tuner, and the
> darker trim around the screen looks less fugly than the all-silver
> of the HS420, but i don't think the XS is worth the hundreds of
> dollars more unless these added features are worth it to you
> especially if you have cable or satellite.
>
> There's tons of discussions about these TVs on AVSForum.com
>
> Randy

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:15:43 PM

dg wrote:

> Are you sure the tube is actually different?

The newer Sony XS CRT tubes have the Finer mask....

I have heard (unofficial) that
> they are the same tube, but other features like audio, ATSC tuner, cable
> card make the price difference. I have the 420 and I am very happy with it.
>
> The more and more I get into HD, the more I like plain old HD monitors with
> no tuner or cable card slot. Audio isn't a big deal either because any
> serious AV fan will have a sound system.
>
> --Dan
>
> "Randy W" <RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > On 06 Jan 2005 02:20:34 GMT, pneski@aol.com (PNeski) wrote:
> >
> >>Is it worth the extra money over the cheaper one" HS420" I don't
> >>really care about cable card that much.
> >
> > The XS955 has a better picture tube and the ATSC tuner, and the
> > darker trim around the screen looks less fugly than the all-silver
> > of the HS420, but i don't think the XS is worth the hundreds of
> > dollars more unless these added features are worth it to you
> > especially if you have cable or satellite.
> >
> > There's tons of discussions about these TVs on AVSForum.com
> >
> > Randy

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:15:43 PM

That's interesting regarding your comment about an HD monitor. My second
which I recently purchased because I wanted the built-in tuner and
cablecard. My first set five years ago was just a monitor. Different
people have different requirements so there is definitely room in the
marketplace for both.

Jeff

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are you sure the tube is actually different? I have heard (unofficial)
> that they are the same tube, but other features like audio, ATSC tuner,
> cable card make the price difference. I have the 420 and I am very happy
> with it.
>
> The more and more I get into HD, the more I like plain old HD monitors
> with no tuner or cable card slot. Audio isn't a big deal either because
> any serious AV fan will have a sound system.
>
> --Dan
>
> "Randy W" <RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On 06 Jan 2005 02:20:34 GMT, pneski@aol.com (PNeski) wrote:
>>
>>>Is it worth the extra money over the cheaper one" HS420" I don't
>>>really care about cable card that much.
>>
>> The XS955 has a better picture tube and the ATSC tuner, and the
>> darker trim around the screen looks less fugly than the all-silver
>> of the HS420, but i don't think the XS is worth the hundreds of
>> dollars more unless these added features are worth it to you
>> especially if you have cable or satellite.
>>
>> There's tons of discussions about these TVs on AVSForum.com
>>
>> Randy

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:33:54 AM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:15:42 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Are you sure the tube is actually different? I have heard (unofficial) that
>they are the same tube, but other features like audio, ATSC tuner, cable
>card make the price difference. I have the 420 and I am very happy with it.

Yeah, the XS955 definitely has a better tube, like a 30" version of
the XBR960 tube (finer pitch than the HS420 line).

>The more and more I get into HD, the more I like plain old HD monitors with
>no tuner or cable card slot. Audio isn't a big deal either because any
>serious AV fan will have a sound system. --Dan

Besides the Monovision and Princeton Graphics type CRT monitors, are
there any consumer-grade HD monitors available without speakers or
tuner? I know there are commercial ones for the broadcast industry
but they're many thousands of dollars ! It would be nice if the
name-brand makers offered these, lots of us still prefer tube TVs
over the other new fancy technologies :-)

Randy

Panny CT32HXC43
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 8:17:40 PM

The reason being that all the time they are coming out with new and improved
next generation ATSC tuners, new satellite tuners (yeah, some sets even have
satellite tuners built in), probably even new cable cards. With an HD
monitor, you can just pull your old tuner and set up a new one. So, I guess
it just makes me feel better to not have the extras built in. I don't feel
like I married my ATSC tuner.

--Dan

"Jeff Durham" <jdurham@outdoorlife.local> wrote in message
> That's interesting regarding your comment about an HD monitor. My second
> which I recently purchased because I wanted the built-in tuner and
> cablecard. My first set five years ago was just a monitor. Different
> people have different requirements so there is definitely room in the
> marketplace for both.
>
> Jeff
>
> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Are you sure the tube is actually different? I have heard (unofficial)
>> that they are the same tube, but other features like audio, ATSC tuner,
>> cable card make the price difference. I have the 420 and I am very happy
>> with it.
>>
>> The more and more I get into HD, the more I like plain old HD monitors
>> with no tuner or cable card slot. Audio isn't a big deal either because
>> any serious AV fan will have a sound system.
>>
>> --Dan
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:27:11 PM

Even if your set has a built-in ATSC tuner, you could always add another. In
fact, I added a LG LST-3410A DVR to my Sony plasma set using the DVI
connection, so now I have two digital receivers with equally stunning HD.
Plus, since my set has two component connections, and only one is being used
for my DVD player, I could add a cable or satellite STB, or even another OTA
tuner if I wanted, so I've got plenty of options in terms of adapting to
technology change.

What I am most interested in is seeing a smaller 16:9 flat panel HD set with
a built-in tuner as a replacement for the analog TV in the bedroom. I have
limited space there and really would prefer not to need a STB, especially
since I get my HD OTA. I suppose that I must wait for the FCC receiver
mandate to kick in at the 17"-24" screen size before that will happen.

--Phil

> The reason being that all the time they are coming out with new and
> improved next generation ATSC tuners, new satellite tuners (yeah, some
> sets even have satellite tuners built in), probably even new cable cards.
> With an HD monitor, you can just pull your old tuner and set up a new one.
> So, I guess it just makes me feel better to not have the extras built in.
> I don't feel like I married my ATSC tuner.
>
> --Dan
>

> "Jeff Durham" <jdurham@outdoorlife.local> wrote in message
>> That's interesting regarding your comment about an HD monitor. My second
>> which I recently purchased because I wanted the built-in tuner and
>> cablecard. My first set five years ago was just a monitor. Different
>> people have different requirements so there is definitely room in the
>> marketplace for both.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Are you sure the tube is actually different? I have heard (unofficial)
>>> that they are the same tube, but other features like audio, ATSC tuner,
>>> cable card make the price difference. I have the 420 and I am very
>>> happy with it.
>>>
>>> The more and more I get into HD, the more I like plain old HD monitors
>>> with no tuner or cable card slot. Audio isn't a big deal either because
>>> any serious AV fan will have a sound system.
>>>
>>> --Dan

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:16:32 AM

one reason that makes Cable Card