Sign in with
Your question

I need help with this cause it is pissing me off now...

Tags:
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
August 15, 2007 5:09:46 AM

Hello,

I have been having this problem for a long time now and it has pissed me off beyond belief.. perhaps someone can help me. This may sound like the problem is limited to the program but I am sure it is a network issue... if in ANY WAY you can help me please do..

On uTorrent at the bottom when downloading a file there is the connection bar... it is supposed to stay green, which means I get incoming connections... however mine always stays the caution yellow which means "No Incoming Connections... could be a problem with your network.." alright then... so my port probably isn't open...

I go to my router, a SMC WBR14-G, admin screen and on my IP address, 192.168.2.103, I open up the port 36032 just as this guide says to do (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forward... .htm).

So I head back to uTorrent and get it to scan to see if the port is open but I get this error message again..

Quote:

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.
A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 36032 on 74.119.244.105...

Error! Port 36032 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

I have no firewall's on.. I have Avast! Anti-Virus Pro running. Windows firewall is off...

When I configured the port on my other PC and parent's laptop it worked for them and they get the green check mark but I don't.

Someone said see what happens when you plug your PC straight into your modem. All that did for me was not connect me to the internet and the network button at the bottom said limited to no connectivity...

I am on a dynamic IP address as assigned to me by my router... can someone PLEASE help me fix this problem??????

More about : pissing

August 15, 2007 6:53:12 AM

Ok.. a few thoughts.

1. Your computer would probably be better off with a static IP. I say this because forwarding your port to IP a.b.c.d could change tomorrow if you reset your router. Next thing you know you're swearing your port isn't working right, and you might want to pull your hair out before you realize you are now a.b.c.e. So, set yourself up with a static IP. One that's really high and you'll NEVER have that many machines. Maybe 192.168.2.200. Just make sure your router's subnet mask(if it has the option) is set to 255.255.255.0.

2. Try setting yourself up as a DMZ. This will forward a copy of ALL incoming traffic into your modem to your computer, reguardless of if it was met for you. Think of it as you getting a personal copy of all incoming traffic. Your computer will ignore all of the traffic that isn't for you. But be warned, your computer is pretty much not behind a firewall at this point. Try a DMZ and see if you get the green light. IF you do, then there's another port you must open. I quick search of your torrent client didn't turn up anything that you haven't already tried. I think when I used Azureus a long time ago I had to unblock some second port to get the green light. Although I can't find much about it now. My memory could be lapsing though.

3. Try changing your port. If your using 36032, and another program is using that port, maybe your router is totally freaking on you. Try something else, preferably a totally different number like 47312 or something. Don't try something else close like 36033 as that one could possibly be used for the same program. MSN IM uses 1 port for IMs, another port for download and so on, but they are only like + or - 5 from each other.
August 16, 2007 5:12:57 PM

Quote:

2. Try setting yourself up as a DMZ. This will forward a copy of ALL incoming traffic into your modem to your computer, reguardless of if it was met for you. Think of it as you getting a personal copy of all incoming traffic. Your computer will ignore all of the traffic that isn't for you. But be warned, your computer is pretty much not behind a firewall at this point. Try a DMZ and see if you get the green light. IF you do, then there's another port you must open. I quick search of your torrent client didn't turn up anything that you haven't already tried. I think when I used Azureus a long time ago I had to unblock some second port to get the green light. Although I can't find much about it now. My memory could be lapsing though.

Tried that.. same problem.. tried #3 to port 47312 and still nothing... I know it works for dynamic IP's cause all my other computers are on dynamic IP's...
Related resources
August 16, 2007 8:29:55 PM

Okay.. the problem is... 74.119.244.105 is blocking the traffic. I'm going to assume this is your edge device. Is this device your SMC WBR14-G? You need to allow this port through your perimeter firewall. The traffic to utorrent port is dropped before it reaches the port forward table, therefore no traffic will ever make it to your machine at 192.168.2.103.

cabose369 said:
Hello,

I have been having this problem for a long time now and it has pissed me off beyond belief.. perhaps someone can help me. This may sound like the problem is limited to the program but I am sure it is a network issue... if in ANY WAY you can help me please do..

On uTorrent at the bottom when downloading a file there is the connection bar... it is supposed to stay green, which means I get incoming connections... however mine always stays the caution yellow which means "No Incoming Connections... could be a problem with your network.." alright then... so my port probably isn't open...

I go to my router, a SMC WBR14-G, admin screen and on my IP address, 192.168.2.103, I open up the port 36032 just as this guide says to do (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forward... .htm).

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/2031/portisopengw1.jpg

So I head back to uTorrent and get it to scan to see if the port is open but I get this error message again..

Quote:

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

I have no firewall's on.. I have Avast! Anti-Virus Pro running. Windows firewall is off...

When I configured the port on my other PC and parent's laptop it worked for them and they get the green check mark but I don't.

Someone said see what happens when you plug your PC straight into your modem. All that did for me was not connect me to the internet and the network button at the bottom said limited to no connectivity...

I am on a dynamic IP address as assigned to me by my router... can someone PLEASE help me fix this problem??????

August 17, 2007 2:43:11 AM

Quote:

Okay.. the problem is... 74.119.244.105 is blocking the traffic. I'm going to assume this is your edge device. Is this device your SMC WBR14-G? You need to allow this port through your perimeter firewall. The traffic to utorrent port is dropped before it reaches the port forward table, therefore no traffic will ever make it to your machine at 192.168.2.103.

Ok NOW you are talking way over my head lol.. 74.119.244.105 is my modem IP. That is the IP my ISP gave me. I'm not sure what an edge device is. The SMC WBR14-G is my router. The router assigns me the IP 192.168.2.103.
August 17, 2007 4:22:16 AM

From your utorrent port check, utorrent port checker is only hitting 74.119.244.105. This tells me that your computers are NATted behind this IP. I assume uTorrent port check is located on a remote server which you are using to check to see if ports are opened on your computer. That program picks up the IP address from the HTTP requests and assumes that that IP is the IP of your machine. The device with this IP address is the device is your perimeter. It needs to have that port open so that traffic will hit your computer.

--- This is from your post ---

-----------------------------------------------------

vxdesigns said:

August 17, 2007 6:29:05 AM

I think the problem is directly related to NAT. Which you should be able to configure on your modem. Try adding the port on your modem NAT settings, set the ip to your router ip. Set your router Virtual Server or application server to the same port and your computer ip. (Make your pc ip address static)
August 17, 2007 5:29:15 PM

there are a couple options on my router when I go to NAT.

One is Address Mapping:
Quote:

Network Address Translation (NAT) allows IP addresses used in a private local network to be mapped to one or more addresses used in the public, global Internet. This feature limits the number of public IP addresses required from the ISP and also maintains the privacy and security of the local network. We allow one or more than one public IP address to be mapped to a pool of local addresses.

So I tried this:
1. Global IP: 74.119.244.105 is transformed as multiple virtual IPs
from 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.250
That did nothing to fix the problem. In fact.. it slowed down my internet speed and my speed while going through the menus in my router so I turned it off.

It is odd... I have my laptop beside me (it is wireless) and when I get it to test the uTorrent ports it says:

Quote:

Welcome to the uTorrent Port Checker.
A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is open.

Checking port 31097 on 74.119.244.105...

OK! Port 31097 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to recieve incoming BitTorrent connections.

So now I set my port to 31097 and when I click the button to check the port it says its open.. it really makes no sense.. if the light goes green I am good to go..
August 17, 2007 5:34:54 PM

it seems as if I typed too soon... ok now this is stupid... now it says that that port is no longer open

Quote:

Checking port 31097 on 74.119.244.105...

Error! Port 31097 does not appear to be open.

Now both computers are showing the port is closed... I am so damn lost with this crap it is ridiculous...

Now I reset my laptop port back to 31097 and my PC one to 21514 and both say they cannot connect.

Now I reset uTorrent on my laptop and it shows that port 31097 is open and accepting connections... but my PC still says that port isn't open... it does not make any sense.. my laptop shows the ports I give it are open but not for my PC.

Someone said access 74.119.244.105, that is my modem.. how do I access it?

In case you need it this is what my router says:
Quote:

GATEWAY
IP Address: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enabled
Firewall: Enabled
UPnP: Disabled
Wireless: Enabled

INTERNET
Cable/DSL: CONNECTED
WAN IP: 74.119.244.105
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128
Gateway: 74.119.244.1
Primary DNS: 64.71.255.198
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
August 28, 2007 1:16:45 PM

disable your router firewall see what happens
August 31, 2007 4:35:48 AM

still same problem.... any ideas? All my other computers work ok... except for mine... I just reformatted and got a new HD and still the same problem.
!