Closed

How do I lengthen the text under icons?

On My desktop I have a lot of Icons, various excel files mostly. BUt I
can't telkl most opf them apart until I place cursor over them because
the text is abbreviated with an elipse after just a couple words. How
can I lengthen this so I can always see three or four short lines of
text under an icon? And not one or two lines and an elipse.
7 answers Last reply
More about lengthen text icons

    Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Advanced
    Under Item, scroll down to Icon Spacing(Horizontal) and
    change size to larger number. May need to change other
    Items - eg. Vertical Spacing, Icon size, etc. to view way
    want Icon Text to show on desktop. Click Apply and Ok
    after changing settings.

    <miscellaneousmedia@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On My desktop I have a lot of Icons, various excel files mostly. BUt I
    > can't telkl most opf them apart until I place cursor over them because
    > the text is abbreviated with an elipse after just a couple words. How
    > can I lengthen this so I can always see three or four short lines of
    > text under an icon? And not one or two lines and an elipse.

    Nope. that gave me a little more space above and on the sides of the
    many icons on mydesktop. But it did not end the problem of words
    becoming elipsed after about 10-12 charatcers, or text more than two
    lines long not showing up unless the icon is dragged and held over it.
    Any other solutions?

    Fizzikal wrote:
    > Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Advanced
    > Under Item, scroll down to Icon Spacing(Horizontal) and
    > change size to larger number. May need to change other
    > Items - eg. Vertical Spacing, Icon size, etc. to view way
    > want Icon Text to show on desktop. Click Apply and Ok
    > after changing settings.
    >

    > <miscellaneousmedia@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > On My desktop I have a lot of Icons, various excel files mostly.
    BUt I
    > > can't telkl most opf them apart until I place cursor over them
    because
    > > the text is abbreviated with an elipse after just a couple words.
    How
    > > can I lengthen this so I can always see three or four short lines
    of
    > > text under an icon? And not one or two lines and an elipse.

    When I change the size of Icon Spacing(Horizontal), it lengthens
    the text size below icons and am able to see full text of desktop
    icons. Have to experiment with different size settings.
    Uncheck Auto Arrange and Align To Grid under Arrange Icons By>
    and can then move the Icons on desktop to way want them and
    choose amount of horizontal/vertical space between the icons.

    Sorry, but no other suggestions. Perhaps someone else can
    help you further.

    > Nope. that gave me a little more space above and on the sides of the
    > many icons on mydesktop. But it did not end the problem of words
    > becoming elipsed after about 10-12 charatcers, or text more than two
    > lines long not showing up unless the icon is dragged and held over it.
    > Any other solutions?
    >
    > Fizzikal wrote:
    >> Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Advanced
    >> Under Item, scroll down to Icon Spacing(Horizontal) and
    >> change size to larger number. May need to change other
    >> Items - eg. Vertical Spacing, Icon size, etc. to view way
    >> want Icon Text to show on desktop. Click Apply and Ok
    >> after changing settings.
    >>

    >> <miscellaneousmedia@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > On My desktop I have a lot of Icons, various excel files mostly.
    > BUt I
    >> > can't telkl most opf them apart until I place cursor over them
    > because
    >> > the text is abbreviated with an elipse after just a couple words.
    > How
    >> > can I lengthen this so I can always see three or four short lines
    > of
    >> > text under an icon? And not one or two lines and an elipse.

    Dont lengthen...........shorten the name of the file
    Even XP has limitations of file name size
    Or better still create a new folder on your desktop and drag all those
    loooong filename files into it.
    When you open the folder it will show you the full name of the file.

    peterk

    safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:18:49 -0600, "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net>
    wrote:

    >Dont lengthen...........shorten the name of the file
    >Even XP has limitations of file name size
    >Or better still create a new folder on your desktop and drag all those
    >loooong filename files into it.
    >When you open the folder it will show you the full name of the file.
    >
    >peterk

    Here is another possible solution:

    Open Display Properties, then select "Horizontal Icon Spacing", and
    increase the setting by at least 60 pixels.

    *** NOTE:This should make your desktop icons spaced very far apart ***

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that others may be instructed or informed
  6. these old settings for icon size / horizontal & vertical spacing dont work for win 7
    UNLESS YOU DONT USE AN AERO THEME AND USE OLD STYLE WINDOWS STYLES!

    they have made the theme in charge and so you must edit the themes manifest in
    order to change the amount of text shown on icons now and most are using default
    settings and thus cuts off the text for em

    changing to small fonts does seem to show more but its likely harder to read as well
    so it becomes the lesser of two evils sorta deal (not ideal)

    you can pick new and shortcut and add the line below *modify with your username*

    C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Desktop

    this seems odd I know to have an icon/folder named desktop on the desktop but what it
    does it sets up a shortcut to the folder so when you click it that it shows your files on the
    desktop in explorer view and thus shows full filenames vs being cut off as desktop does.

    you can customize the size and say hide left plane if desired (I do myself) so it just looks like
    old control panel with the 20 icons with file names but you can use any type of view settings
    small icons/larger /list/details etc and all of them will show all the text (unless just show icons)

    this wont change size of explorer window for other folders just the desktop

    OR make a new folder or link an existing folder to desktop 'say if save stuff to c:\mystuff
    click folder and hold left mouse button and drag the folder to desktop and when menu pops
    up click the create shortcut 'this will do the same idea as other but take you to a diff folder
  7. looks good!!

Desktops Microsoft Icons Windows XP