Sign in with
Your question

Need help installing ubuntu within windows 7

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
March 2, 2012 4:42:31 AM

I’m having problems installing ubuntu within windows seven can anybody help me figure out what’s going on here?
March 2, 2012 1:12:31 PM

amdfangirl said:
As in a VM?

No as a Dual boot.
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2012 12:54:39 PM

ok I just read it and i'm still not make any hand way. Would a wireless connection be the problem?
m
l
March 9, 2012 5:15:57 PM

What exactly is the problem?
m
l
March 10, 2012 3:12:41 AM

Literally, ITsonic, as hard as it is, diverge from your avatar/username and slow down a little and tell us what issues specifically you are seeing and what steps you've taken to get where you currently are.
m
l
March 10, 2012 4:57:32 AM

audiovoodoo said:
What exactly is the problem?

bmouring said:
Literally, ITsonic, as hard as it is, diverge from your avatar/username and slow down a little and tell us what issues specifically you are seeing and what steps you've taken to get where you currently are.

@ Audiovoodoo & bmouring: I can't seem to install it on my PC and every time I try to do so it keeps saying terminated by signal 9. I didn't have any problems with it when I installed it on my C521.
m
l
March 11, 2012 5:12:53 PM

Chances are that your Ubuntu is getting killed because Windows doesn't think it has sufficient privilages. You should try disabling antivirus / firewall (just for now, don't forget to re-enable it), and also try running WUBI as administrator (right click > run as administrator).
Hope this helps, ~Unsolved Cypher
m
l
March 12, 2012 6:32:03 AM

UnsolvedCypher said:
Chances are that your Ubuntu is getting killed because Windows doesn't think it has sufficient privilages. You should try disabling antivirus / firewall (just for now, don't forget to re-enable it), and also try running WUBI as administrator (right click > run as administrator).

This sounds like as reasonable a culprit as any, however I generally don't recommend using WUBI to setup a dual-boot system but rather shrinking the Windows partition within Windows and letting the Linux installer setup the dual-boot for you as it installs to the freed space on the disk.

As a matter of fact, unless you have a very compelling reason, I very much suggest installing Linux under a VM on Windows to get your sea legs first. Very easy, low risk, recent virtualization-enabled HW gives good performance, niceties like snapshots before you're about to try something risky, etc. etc.
m
l
March 13, 2012 3:27:02 AM

It's best to install side by side using the Ubuntu CD/USB as a boot device.

That was not an option for me after updating to a recent BIOS on my Asus motherboard. I kept getting stuck on the ISOLINUX line at the start of the boot process... apparently Asus dropped support for linux within their BIOS and the kernel refuses to load using the standard boot process within the Ubuntu CD.

However, working within windows and WUBI was great. The key thing using the wubi installer is that it basically creates a new directory within the windows partition that it then loads from. So make sure you have enough space in the partition you're trying to install from.

Unless you're comfortable running VMs I wouldn't recommend doing that as you're adding another layer of complexity... that being said if you do know what you're doing it's the best, but based on the question I'm assuming that's not the case.
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:01:17 PM

UnsolvedCypher said:

Just one problem I don't have a any anti-virus on windows 7 but, I do have windows firewall so im going to try that.

bmouring said:
This sounds like as reasonable a culprit as any, however I generally don't recommend using WUBI to setup a dual-boot system but rather shrinking the Windows partition within Windows and letting the Linux installer setup the dual-boot for you as it installs to the freed space on the disk.

As a matter of fact, unless you have a very compelling reason, I very much suggest installing Linux under a VM on Windows to get your sea legs first. Very easy, low risk, recent virtualization-enabled HW gives good performance, niceties like snapshots before you're about to try something risky, etc. etc.

I did do that Right before I installed win7.

Niva said:
It's best to install side by side using the Ubuntu CD/USB as a boot device.

That was not an option for me after updating to a recent BIOS on my Asus motherboard. I kept getting stuck on the ISOLINUX line at the start of the boot process... apparently Asus dropped support for linux within their BIOS and the kernel refuses to load using the standard boot process within the Ubuntu CD.

However, working within windows and WUBI was great. The key thing using the wubi installer is that it basically creates a new directory within the windows partition that it then loads from. So make sure you have enough space in the partition you're trying to install from.

Unless you're comfortable running VMs I wouldn't recommend doing that as you're adding another layer of complexity... that being said if you do know what you're doing it's the best, but based on the question I'm assuming that's not the case.

Do you think my motherboard has something to do with it?
m
l
March 16, 2012 2:41:33 AM

Search for your model number, BIOS revision, and linux install issues in google, that might give you hints. That's how I eventually found out my mobo has a problem with the latest BIOS, earlier BIOS revisions didn't have this problem. Folks like us who upgrade their BIOS (I did it because I was having RAM issues) and install linux and run into problems are a pretty exclusive crowd, so you might not get a definitive answer even with the incredible Google.
m
l
March 16, 2012 1:06:28 PM

Niva said:
Search for your model number, BIOS revision, and linux install issues in google, that might give you hints. That's how I eventually found out my mobo has a problem with the latest BIOS, earlier BIOS revisions didn't have this problem. Folks like us who upgrade their BIOS (I did it because I was having RAM issues) and install linux and run into problems are a pretty exclusive crowd, so you might not get a definitive answer even with the incredible Google.

My model name/number is: MA785GM-US2H and my BIOS: F12A
m
l
March 16, 2012 2:39:26 PM

ITsonic said:
I’m having problems installing ubuntu within windows seven can anybody help me figure out what’s going on here?

re: GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 1.0)

"REMARK:
Due to most hardware/software vendors no longer offer support for Win9X/ME. If some vendors still has Win9X/ME drivers available, we will publish on website.
Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website"

SOURCE -- http://ee.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-ma785gm-us2h...
m
l
March 16, 2012 10:48:03 PM

ITsonic said:
My model name/number is: MA785GM-US2H and my BIOS: F12A

Oh, I had the smae board but with slightly different output ports and it uses the same BIOS file (I checked). The few times I tried to run Linux on it worked just fine.

Of course I used Fedora 15 and the IGP :) 
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:10:33 AM

chamaecyparis said:
re: GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 1.0)

"REMARK:
Due to most hardware/software vendors no longer offer support for Win9X/ME. If some vendors still has Win9X/ME drivers available, we will publish on website.
Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website"

SOURCE -- http://ee.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-ma785gm-us2h...

But were is the Linux driver for rev. 3.0?
m
l
March 17, 2012 6:33:15 AM

v3 of the motherboard PCB?
m
l
March 17, 2012 10:51:46 PM

Oh, in that case I have the rev. 1 PCB, which really doesn't help because little things tend to change frequently with mobo makers between revisions. Guess I'm really not that helpful :p .
m
l
March 20, 2012 3:57:51 AM

amdfangirl said:
Oh, in that case I have the rev. 1 PCB, which really doesn't help because little things tend to change frequently with mobo makers between revisions. Guess I'm really not that helpful :p .

Well I leased you tried, also I tried to install Fedora 16 but I got the same message terminated by signal 9 (killed) Maybe I should try a wired connection or something?
m
l
!