How to learn LINUX rapidly fast?

Routersforhumans

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
:hello: I've spent my five years of technical career in Windows itself and now it feels to me that I need to update myself with Linux as well :bounce: . Well, with the first step at the stair case, I have downloaded and installed Ubuntu 11.10.

Could anyone be patient to tell me as what's the best way to learn this Operating System real quick :lol: ? I would be definitely obliged to helping hands!!! :wahoo:

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Why do you want to learn Linux? Is it just for the experience, are you trying to move away from Windows, do you want to mess with command line, etc...?
What you want to do affects how you need to learn...

Routersforhumans

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Is there a website available or any pdf files somebody has, which can help to learn Linux? The reason being, I would like to learn Linux as I have had enough with windows and now to boost my technical knowledge and have a good grip, I would like to learn this open source operating system..........

TDiT

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I find it easiest to "learn Linux" through first hand experience. Building NAS units with FreeNAS/Ubuntu, setting up Gentoo, generic trouble shooting, etc. Trust me, Linux will give you plenty of opportunities to "troubleshoot," each time a great learning experience. If all you seek is command line knowledge, use the terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) in Ubuntu to do all your directory duties (remember sudo su to elevate your privileges to super user). For quickly absorbing a bunch of knowledge, yeah, a self-help dummies book is the way to go, but if you truly want to learn Linux, think: "Sure, I can do it in Windows, but lets get it done in Linux."

And, I've always found this site helpful, if only because Google tells me it is the best:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

Jump in with both feet; buy at least three hard drives -- put lubuntu LTS or peppermint 2 on one, crunchbang 10 or antiX-M11 on another and salix-13.37-xfce on the third; join a bunch of forums, including the three for your distros; ask questions and don't be afraid to be called an idiot (just change your registration and handle in about six months). Learn apt-get and how to burn isos with wodim in 'buntu/Debian and cdrecord in salix; add some dd commands; be ready to reinstall the OS at a moments notice and look forward to it; stay way from KDE and Gnome for now. Try puppy linux.

Best wishes!