Power Supply goes POP! Help!

Bubacus

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I just went to fire up my system and there was no response. I checked the power cord connected to the PS, it was a little loose, so I got it seated correctly and then pressed the on button...Then I hear a loud POP (kind of like a cap gun) from the back of the system. I assume this it was the power supply. I checked my mobo, video cards, and sound card for blown capacitors or anything charred. Things look ok in those departments. The PS is an Antec Tru Power 2.0 SLI 550w that I picked up from the now defunct Monarch Computer Company last March. The outlet I was using for the PS was on a pretty pricey surge protector also. Nothing else on the surge protector was blown.

So my question is could this be more than a PS supply? What else should I check before I start ordering a new PS? Should I be worried if anything else on the PC is toast?

I was running the PS on Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, 2 7900 GT KOs in SLI, 4800X2 oced at 2.7gigs for well over a year without a problem. Do I have any chance at an RMA with Antec?
Thanks for any advice.

lumpking69

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Ive had the same thing happen 3 times! Two out of the 3 times it was a fuse that did its job and stopped the PC from become'n a pricey paperweight. But that one time, i lost everything except my sound card :-(

Good luck mate.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
This happend to me 3 month ago too. When i switched a new PSU, everything is working except for 4 USB capacitors on the mainboard. They exploaded along with the death of my PSU. I'm lucky that i had the sidepannel on or else my carpet would've been caught on fire. I had to do some custom rewiring to get the USB working again. Before you switch another PSU, unplug and take out everything thats not essential ( minimize the risk of blowing your new PSU). Check each piece of hardware carefully and make sure it has no blown/leaked capacitors. Check if your computer if it is working under base setup ( harddrive mainboard + cpu + graphic card). After you made sure all component survived the disaster, add the rest of the peripherals in.

Edit: If the PSU's is still in warranty time,,, you should be able to get an RMA.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Really? I thought his PSU is Antec Tru Power 2.0 SLI 550w. I think Antec is a pretty good brand. I use Jaw Shing brand 300 W and its quality is great! The 80mm PSU fan barley makes any noise while running (<15dBA).
http://www.snake.com.tw/

Bubacus

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Haven't had time to get a new PS yet, but Antec was ok with RMAing the PS. I am just holding my breath for when the moment of truth happens when I try to fire up the system with the new PS.