musicmad

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Hi,

Could anyone recommend which platform one should use with regards to being a PC musician, I'm trying to decide between Mac or PC. At current I'm running on Windows XP-SP2 but due to bugs viruses hackers etc, I'm tired of the ongoing issues with a PC. It seems i have to run my antivirus software applications at least twice a week to keep the system clean, even then there are still minor issues.

What is the arrangement using an audio sound card with a Mac? at present i have a PCI soundcard installed in my desktop, but given all the components of a Mac are built in to the back of its monitor, i can only assume a external USB soundcard would be the way to go, am i right??

Cheers
Musicmad.

If you practice safe computing, you shouldn't have to worry about viruses, spyware or "hackers". (The reason I put hackers in quotes is because no one truly "hacks" your computer... you would have had to have run some sort of malware for these people to have access). I run antivirus on all of my computers and I've never had an issue. It's also important to keep Windows up-to-date and not put off installing those updates... they exist for a reason. It took people far too long to do the updates required to deny access to the Sasser worm.

Don't trust any links or files received through email... it doesn't matter who they are from. If you get an unsolicited executable attachment, delete it immediately... even if it's from your mom / aunt / sister / brother / dad. Never click on any .exe or .vbs or whatever in your email unless you requested the file and you know it's contents.

If you're running your antivirus that often to keep your system clean, then chances are you've got an infection and your antivirus isn't cleaning it sufficiently. Take the hard drive and scan it on a known clean computer or completely reload your system. (After backing up your data, of course)

Limit others using the computer if it is being used for important work. Just because you practice safe computing, doesn't mean that everyone else will do the same... especially children.

Use a router... even if you have only one computer, a router's firewall does help protect you against exploitable vulnerabilities (such as the one the Sasser worm exploited).

Your computer's security begins and ends with the person or people using it.