5685 or 5674? (and other questions)

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 6, 2005 4:30:29 PM

We've narrowed down our choice to either the Samsung HLP4685W or the
5674W, but can't decide which to get.

Part of our decision is that 55 or 56 inches is the ideal size for our
viewing room geometry, and that there are very few, if any, other DLP
HDTV brands and models in that size.

Either form factor (pedestal or table-top) is OK with us. I'm more
concerned with any technical and picture-quality differences that there
might be between the two.

Differences that do not matter are the speakers (because I won't be
using them) and the presence or absence of front or side AV inputs
(because I've never used them on any previous set).

Second question: Would it make any difference whether I used the HDMI
input or the DVI input to connect it to the DirectTivo HD receiver? I
assume that using either of those is preferable to using the component
input/outputs.

Third question: Since the set will convert all input to 720P
internally, would there be any advantage to getting a DVD player that
up-converts from 480p before sending the signal to the TV?

More about : 5685 5674 questions

January 7, 2005 12:07:02 AM

In article <michelle-F41B68.13302906012005@news.west.cox.net>,
michelle@michelle.org says...
> We've narrowed down our choice to either the Samsung HLP4685W or the
> 5674W, but can't decide which to get.

> Part of our decision is that 55 or 56 inches is the ideal size for our
> viewing room geometry, and that there are very few, if any, other DLP
> HDTV brands and models in that size.

I assume you mean the 5685 not 4685 then. :)

> Either form factor (pedestal or table-top) is OK with us. I'm more
> concerned with any technical and picture-quality differences that there
> might be between the two.

I beleive the '85 series is marginally more feature rich. But I prefer
the form factor of the 63's and 64's myself. Its simply more 'space
efficient', being narrower (speakers below instead of on the sides), and
being better suited for storing components. (the 85s have a nice add on
wrap around stand as well, but its quite a bit bigger.)

> Differences that do not matter are the speakers (because I won't be
> using them) and the presence or absence of front or side AV inputs
> (because I've never used them on any previous set).
>
> Second question: Would it make any difference whether I used the HDMI
> input or the DVI input to connect it to the DirectTivo HD receiver? I
> assume that using either of those is preferable to using the component
> input/outputs.

Well if you use the hdmi input you would have to run audio separately.
(In other words, there should be no difference to Picture Quality.)

> Third question: Since the set will convert all input to 720P
> internally, would there be any advantage to getting a DVD player that
> up-converts from 480p before sending the signal to the TV?

The consensus seems to be no real advantage. Best solution would be to
see for yourself on a floor model. If you can see a difference, and its
an improvement (not all 'differences' are improvements after all), AND
you think the improvement you see is worth the money (bearing in mind
that HD-DVD is coming and you'll likely want one of those anyway so this
is a short term investment at best)... then go for it.

But if I were you I'd hold off on a new DVD player until HD-DVD starts
hitting the market.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:07:03 AM

In article <MPG.1c474855caa0008298997e@shawnews>,
42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> I assume you mean the 5685 not 4685 then. :)

Yes, it was a typo. At least I got it right in the subject of the
thread. <g>

> I beleive the '85 series is marginally more feature rich.

How so?

> But I prefer the form factor of the 63's and 64's myself.

64s or 74s? :)

> Its simply more 'space efficient', being narrower (speakers below
> instead of on the sides), and being better suited for storing
> components. (the 85s have a nice add on wrap around stand as well,
> but its quite a bit bigger.)

Understood, but that's not much of an issue for us.

> > Second question: Would it make any difference whether I used the
> > HDMI input or the DVI input to connect it to the DirectTivo HD
> > receiver? I assume that using either of those is preferable to
> > using the component input/outputs.
>
> Well if you use the hdmi input you would have to run audio
> separately.

Isn't that the other way around? Regardless, I'm going to run audio
separately anyway--digitally to the AV receiver.

> (In other words, there should be no difference to Picture Quality.)

In that case I'll probably run DVI because it screws into the socket.

> > Third question: Since the set will convert all input to 720P
> > internally, would there be any advantage to getting a DVD player
> > that up-converts from 480p before sending the signal to the TV?
>
> The consensus seems to be no real advantage.

Good; that saves me some money. I'll keep my current DVD player.

> Best solution would be to see for yourself on a floor model.

Getting the dealer to hook things up would be more trouble than it's
worth, I would think.

> But if I were you I'd hold off on a new DVD player until HD-DVD
> starts hitting the market.

I think I'll wait until later than that--until the second or third
generation, when unit prices come down and there is enough media in the
format to justify it.

Thanks muchly for your replies; they were very helpful.

January 7, 2005 1:37:59 AM

In article <michelle-D51558.14342906012005@news.west.cox.net>,
michelle@michelle.org says...
> In article <MPG.1c474855caa0008298997e@shawnews>,
> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > I assume you mean the 5685 not 4685 then. :)
>
> Yes, it was a typo. At least I got it right in the subject of the
> thread. <g>
>
> > I beleive the '85 series is marginally more feature rich.
>
> How so?

85 has a 7 segment colour wheel (vs 6 for the 74 (per the samsung
website, although rumours are floating that the 7 segment wheel is in or
is coming to the 74s as well). At any rate the 7 segment wheel rotates
faster, and gives it slightly more contrast, and further mitigates the
'rainbow effect' (if you are one of those who can see it).

Additionally, I -think- the 85s have more functionality in the PiP, with
respect to what input sources you can mix, and stuff like that. I'm not
100% sure, but I thought I'd read that you could PiP the PC input on the
85 but not on 'lesser' models, for example.

> > But I prefer the form factor of the 63's and 64's myself.
>
> 64s or 74s? :)

Almost.

63s and 74s.

(crossed fingers and hopes its finally right :)

> > Its simply more 'space efficient', being narrower (speakers below
> > instead of on the sides), and being better suited for storing
> > components. (the 85s have a nice add on wrap around stand as well,
> > but its quite a bit bigger.)
>
> Understood, but that's not much of an issue for us.
>
> > > Second question: Would it make any difference whether I used the
> > > HDMI input or the DVI input to connect it to the DirectTivo HD
> > > receiver? I assume that using either of those is preferable to
> > > using the component input/outputs.
> >
> > Well if you use the hdmi input you would have to run audio
> > separately.
>
> Isn't that the other way around? Regardless, I'm going to run audio
> separately anyway--digitally to the AV receiver.

Uh yeah. That's what I meant :)

> > (In other words, there should be no difference to Picture Quality.)
>
> In that case I'll probably run DVI because it screws into the socket.
>
> > > Third question: Since the set will convert all input to 720P
> > > internally, would there be any advantage to getting a DVD player
> > > that up-converts from 480p before sending the signal to the TV?
> >
> > The consensus seems to be no real advantage.
>
> Good; that saves me some money. I'll keep my current DVD player.
>
> > Best solution would be to see for yourself on a floor model.
>
> Getting the dealer to hook things up would be more trouble than it's
> worth, I would think.

It shouldn't be that big a deal. Provided they have a progressive scan
dvd player on the floor - he should be able to flip it from from 480i to
480p via the remote.

> > But if I were you I'd hold off on a new DVD player until HD-DVD
> > starts hitting the market.
>
> I think I'll wait until later than that--until the second or third
> generation, when unit prices come down and there is enough media in the
> format to justify it.
>
> Thanks muchly for your replies; they were very helpful.

When they aren't corrupted by dyslexic typos :)
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 1:38:00 AM

In article <MPG.1c475da2a5cf1a6c98997f@shawnews>,
42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> > > I beleive the '85 series is marginally more feature rich.
> >
> > How so?
>
> 85 has a 7 segment colour wheel (vs 6 for the 74 (per the samsung
> website, although rumours are floating that the 7 segment wheel is in
> or is coming to the 74s as well). At any rate the 7 segment wheel
> rotates faster, and gives it slightly more contrast, and further
> mitigates the 'rainbow effect' (if you are one of those who can see
> it).

Luckily, neither of us see it.

> Additionally, I -think- the 85s have more functionality in the PiP,
> with respect to what input sources you can mix, and stuff like that.
> I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I'd read that you could PiP the PC
> input on the 85 but not on 'lesser' models, for example.

Not an important to us because all the signals will come from the
DirecTiVo PVR, the DVD player, or the VCR. I don't foresee our using
any two of those three at the same time.

> > > But I prefer the form factor of the 63's and 64's myself.
> >
> > 64s or 74s? :)
>
> Almost.
>
> 63s and 74s.

I was asking strictly about your "64s"? I can see how my question was
ambiguous, though.

> > > Best solution would be to see for yourself on a floor model.
> >
> > Getting the dealer to hook things up would be more trouble than
> > it's worth, I would think.
>
> It shouldn't be that big a deal. Provided they have a progressive
> scan dvd player on the floor - he should be able to flip it from from
> 480i to 480p via the remote.

It's not a matter of 480i to 480p; it's a matter of 480p and component
cables or the DVD player upconverting 480p to 720p and a HDMI cable.

There's also the matter of getting the dealer to take the DVD player out
of the setup it's in and moving it to the 5685 (or 5674) in a different
part of the showroom, and hooking it up there--and then reversing all
that to put it back where it was.

> > Thanks muchly for your replies; they were very helpful.
>
> When they aren't corrupted by dyslexic typos :)

*smile*

-- Michelle

January 7, 2005 5:19:30 PM

Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <MPG.1c475da2a5cf1a6c98997f@shawnews>,

> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.

Michelle, are you still suffering from PEST
(Post Election Selection Syndrome)?
!