Can I plug an XP hard drive into a Vista machine and access the data?

LoopyChicken

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Computer noob here.... my wife's comp mobo just kicked the bucket.... she has data on the hard drive she wants off. She was running XP on her computer, and I"m running Vista 64 on mine. Can I just take her old hard drive, plug in the sata drive and boot from that hard drive?

Thank you for your time.

LoopyChicken

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Better yet... is it possible to just turn the drive into a backup drive without reformatting it and losing the data? Best case scenario would be that I could just boot into my main drive with vista 64, but that I could see all the data on the XP drive.

mcfly42

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
SHOULD is right. I built a system for my sis and installed her old XP HD into it w/o a reformat. it worked swimmingly for 4 mos, then all of a sudden (boot drive) "Hardrive C is not accessible" errors, then crash. Wouldn't start in safe either. I reinstalled V64 onto the old XP drive after backing up the files and got the machine back running. Here’s what was odd, once the machine was working, it recognized the C drive, but still could not access it. I was able to run scan disk and able to perform a windows backup. However, the OS would not allow access to the drive. Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. I've been searching forums all over, but I can only gleam a hint of what may of happened, but nothing concrete anywhere. I'm blaming it on my niece who's a limewire freak and assuming it was a virus. Whatever.