Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Hi,

I recently found out that it would be possible to run games in Directx10 quality on Windows XP. Since I'm running XP and not willing to switch to Vista, I'm interested.
I did some research but it only left me more confused. There are many articles about them, some have links to download locations but every time its a different download. Which one should I get? So if anyone found a good one, please post it.
I'm also aware that this unofficial option does not work always, but there some people who are very positive about it so I'd like to try. So please don't be a Windows-fanboy and don't waste your time on just telling me that is does not work.

Any positive help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Vista's APIs are completely different from XP's. Even if you do get to the point where it actually says "DirectX 10" when you run dxdiag... that in no way means you are getting full DX 10 support. What usually happens is that you get a game running in DX 9 mode with a few DX 10 effects thrown in. If it were possible to run with the full DX 10 featureset... performance would be severely impacted as the DX 10 calls would have to be remapped to DX 9. We all know emulation is usually much slower than native.

So, basically... even though you might not like to hear it... it doesn't work. People keep making promises but ultimately don't come through on them. If it really were as possible as people claim... then we'd be seeing it by now.