Does a distribution like this exist?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Curious to know if there is a stable and tested distro (I mean on par with Red Hat Enterprise/Debian stable) that has extremely cutting edge non-vital software (eg. Firefox, Thunderbird, Blender, etc. at the latest non-beta version) in the default repositories? Keeping Fedora updated (and in a working state) is a pain in the bum. If anything I've been having regressions of various degrees over the past few releases, but I'm really keen on newer software.

I wanted to do something like this for StrayOS, but that would require packaging my own rpms and have my own repos, which can get very messy.

In short, is there a easy way out? Any such distro out there like that with LXDE by default?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I'll look into it.

Problem is that I often need newer than unstable packages.

Must be a personality flaw from playing too much D&D.

Edit: I just realised the packages I want don't actually exist yet. I was hoping for a package to fix lxpanel crashing... oh well

Beeffalo

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
I'd start making the transition to debian based distros, even though I'm starting to really dislike Ubuntu. There are plenty of others who haven't sold themselves out to handheld devices (like Mint). It just seems like anything with .rpm (RedHat, Fedora, CentOS, SUSE) aren't as friendly if you need the newest packages that were created an hour ago. Extremely stable if you don't need them however.

If you're way more hard core than me, then correctly deploying an Arch distro and maintaining it effectively would be your choice. But that gives you similar problems as StrayOS as far as making your own packages and repos, it just seems like its not as messy.

Nope, that's exactly what the AUR is for. There are even pacman wrappers that interface with the AUR directly.
http://aur.archlinux.org/

For example to grab the latest lxpanel with 'packer' built right from the git repo:
( http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34790 )

Code:
sudo packer -S lxpanel-git

Yes its that damn easy. Downloads the pkgbuild, offers chance to modify the build script, then automatically builds into a package and installs.
to update system (including latest packages from AUR)
Code:
sudo packer -Syu

Unfortunately this is a mixed blessing, as arch is a rolling distribution and is no where near debian stable.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
After long deliberation, I've decided to wait just a few days for that Firefox/Thunderbird update.

Sure, Fedora is pretty slack when it comes to updating them, but I realised that on Ubuntu/Mint Firefox is updated on the day of release making it "good enough" for me. A friend talked me out of using Debian stable and backports citing security reasons.

Most likely I will wait for the LTS Linux Mint 13 and get my update then.

chris4585

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I prefer Mint to anything right now due to the fact its so simple, everything I need, etc.. also I currently have mine themed with the Ubuntu Ambiance theme, its rather nice and simple to setup. I can't wait for Mint 13.

Yes, but the patches can take a while to come through. That's why the OP was asking about bleeding edge versions of applications, the ones before the mainline releases. Firefox for example has nightly builds available with all the latest fixes and additions.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

She talks about Fedora in the first post. That's what she was using previously.

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ikey strikes again (dead center)!