Vista 64 defrag?

XRWKEN

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Im just getting up yo speed with my new I7 build. had XP in old system. Now Im on Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
Defrag in XP was always worthless so I used disk keeper then.

what about vista defrag? when I went to it the only thing I could find to do was to schedule it or manual defrag now. No analyze and when I start it it just says defraging, no chart, even xp defrag had analyze option and a chart.
Am I missing something? since im new to vista maybe there is a option to enable analyze option and show chart?

So is Vista defrag worth using or should I use a third party defrag?
What are you guys using?

tx
Ken

Vista defrag is automatic, it runs at odd times when you are not using the PC. It also works well, or so it would seem, Maximum PC (June 2008) did a comparison with Vista defrag, diskeeper 2008, and the free Auslogics defragger. Not only did the 3rd party programs not beat Vista's they increased boot time over the pre-fragmented state and were way behind Vista's in this department.

To be fair the test only looked at startup and shutdown times so YMMV. For my money defrag is way over rated anyway and I was happy to let the OS take care of it behind the scenes. I do miss watching the pretty blocks move around but it turns out that's largely simulated animation anyway.

EDIT: I went back and looked at the article and they also included Perferct Disk 2008. Same results though. They also included PCMark Overall in the bechcmarks. Vista beat all three packages there too. Strange, but true. Vista wins in PCMark and startup times in all cases.

@notherdude

It would have been nice if Maximum PC had included Iobits Smart Defragger, and Goldenbows Vopt9 in their Defragger Shootout review and probably some other open source Vista capable defraggers missing from the party but that pretty much follows Maximum PCs track record anyway.

Actually as far as Maximum PC is concerned the online PDF versions only give you the articles the meat of the magazine without the newsstand magazine advertisements, which unfortunately are the majority of the actual magazine, a serious ripoff IMO.

It would actually be nice to have a computer magazine that isn't biased to the advertising contributors like Motorcycle Consumer News used to be, but thats life in the fast lane right.

Oh well interesting article that kinda concentrated on drag race defraggin and seemed to leave out the advantages of defraggers running in the background optimizing and keeping the HDDs from getting seriously fragmented in the first place, but what would be the point in that right?

XRWKEN

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Still looking and reading articles. I found a article at microsoft support thats says (as well as independent revievers) Windows vista defragger is only a partial defragger it will not move/defrag any filer of a set # (forgot what that number is tho sorry)

I hear allot of good about perfect disk

ken

ender21

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
XRWKEN, you're right, Vista defaults to defragging only files <64MB. But you can force it to defrag all files by using the command line instead.

defrag driveletter -w

The -w forces it to defrag every file regardless of size.

RL

G

You might want to add the -v trigger as well. The "-v" option tells it to be verbose in its report. You also need to run command line under admin rights, so goto accesories, right click on command prompt and run as admin.

example of a full defrag under command prompt then:

defrag c: -v -w

Enjoy :sol: