Registry Domain Codes

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\

For each domain site, there is a hexadecimal code value that tells what zone
each one is in.

0 = ?
1 = ?
2 = Trusted
3 = ?
4 = Restricted

What do 0, 1 and 3 mean?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182569

0 = My Computer
1 = Local Intranet Zone
2 = Trusted sites Zone
3 = Internet Zone
4 = Restricted Sites Zone

Is there an online forum somewhere where I can get help with deciding which
zone certain sites should be in?

CastleCops?
Net-Integration?
Some other?

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
>
> For each domain site, there is a hexadecimal code value that tells what
> zone each one is in.
>
> 0 = ?
> 1 = ?
> 2 = Trusted
> 3 = ?
> 4 = Restricted
>
> What do 0, 1 and 3 mean?

Value Setting
------------------------------
0 My Computer

1 Local Intranet Zone

2 Trusted sites Zone

3 Internet Zone

4 Restricted Sites Zone

Description of Internet Explorer security zones registry entries
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182569

How to Use Wild Cards When You Add Web Sites to Security Zones
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=184456

How to Use Security Zones in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=174360

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23g2Jo6%23XFHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
ForestSpirit <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
>
> For each domain site, there is a hexadecimal code value that tells what
> zone each one is in.
>
> 0 = ?
> 1 = ?
> 2 = Trusted
> 3 = ?
> 4 = Restricted
>
> What do 0, 1 and 3 mean?

Beats me.

I only have sites listed in the Restricted Zone thanks to SpywareBlaster.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eQ%23HsH$XFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
ForestSpirit <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182569
>
> 0 = My Computer
> 1 = Local Intranet Zone
> 2 = Trusted sites Zone
> 3 = Internet Zone
> 4 = Restricted Sites Zone
>
> Is there an online forum somewhere where I can get help with deciding
> which zone certain sites should be in?
>
> CastleCops?
> Net-Integration?
> Some other?
>
> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
>> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
>>
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
>> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
>>
>> For each domain site, there is a hexadecimal code value that tells what
>> zone each one is in.
>>
>> 0 = ?
>> 1 = ?
>> 2 = Trusted
>> 3 = ?
>> 4 = Restricted
>>
>> What do 0, 1 and 3 mean?

GENERAL SECURITY PROBLEM
After installing SBC Yahoo! Online Protection, all yahoo.com sites in HKCU
have been moved to Zone 3 (Internet). Some of them can stay there, but some
need to be Trusted, and some need to be Restricted. I need assistance
figuring out which entries should be in which zone. I want to be as secure
as possible while having as much functionality as possible. All yahoo.com
entries cannot automatically be placed into the Restricted zone. Some can,
but not all. After all, SBC Yahoo! is my ISP, and I have to be able to get
my mail online and all. Here are the individual domains in my registry for
yahoo.com. They are all in Zone 3 (Internet), except for Login, Mail, and
Briefcase, which I have moved to Zone 2 (Trusted). Yahoo.com itself is Zone
3. Red.clientapps should probably be Zone 4 (Restricted). I am not sure
about the others.

yahoo.com
- ad
- ads.auctions
- adserver
- auctions
- bookmarks
- briefcase
- calendar
- dial.sbc (SBC Yahoo! Dial homepage)
- dsl.sbc (SBC Yahoo! DSL homepage)
- finance
- games
- geo
- groups
- java
- java.europe
- login (Needed to get to either homepage & takes FOREVER to load)
- mail
- my
- premium
- promo
- promotions
- red.clientapps
- sbc
- srd
- st21

For each of the above keys, there are 4 subkeys and values. Most have value
of 3. Some are 2. Some should be 4.

(Default) REG-SZ (value not set)
* REG-DWORD (3)
http REG-DWORD (3)
https REG-DWORD (3)

BRIEFCASE ACCESS PROBLEM
I cannot access or download any files in my Yahoo! Briefcase unless I am
logged into Yahoo! One of the folders in the briefcase is public, meaning
anyone should be able to access it and download files if I give them the
URL. Because the URL contains my primary email address, I do not just give
it out to everyone. To my knowledge, logging in is not required to view and
download files (only to add, delete, or edit files). I could be wrong about
that. Maybe whoever wants to download my files has to have an account with
Yahoo! and log in. I do not know.

Without logging in, I can get to my briefcase page where it displays the one
folder that is public (my other folders are private and are not shown). When
I click on the folder, I get "this page cannot be displayed" instead of it
showing me the files in there. I temporarily turned off my firewall,
disabled the hosts file, disabled SpywareBlaster protection, and added
briefcase.yahoo.com to the Trusted Zone, but still cannot access the files
in the public folder -- unless I am logged into Yahoo! It makes me wonder if
anyone else can get to those files, or if it is just me because my browser
settings are rather high and custom.

I am very hesitant to place the URL of my briefcase in this newsgroup
because it contains my primary email address, and I do not want to be
spammed. I'd be happy to privately email someone the URL if they want to
test it, but I cannot post it here in this newsgroup.

> Beats me.
>
> I only have sites listed in the Restricted Zone thanks to SpywareBlaster.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:eQ%23HsH$XFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> ForestSpirit <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182569
>>
>> 0 = My Computer
>> 1 = Local Intranet Zone
>> 2 = Trusted sites Zone
>> 3 = Internet Zone
>> 4 = Restricted Sites Zone
>>
>> Is there an online forum somewhere where I can get help with deciding
>> which zone certain sites should be in?
>>
>> CastleCops?
>> Net-Integration?
>> Some other?
>>
>> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
>>> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
>>>
>>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
>>> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
>>>
>>> For each domain site, there is a hexadecimal code value that tells what
>>> zone each one is in.
>>>
>>> 0 = ?
>>> 1 = ?
>>> 2 = Trusted
>>> 3 = ?
>>> 4 = Restricted
>>>
>>> What do 0, 1 and 3 mean?

I suggest contacting Yahoo - after all, it was their software you installed,
they should provide the guidance.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

> [...]
> shown). When I click on the folder, I get "this page cannot be displayed"
> instead of it showing me the files in there. I temporarily turned off my
> firewall, disabled the hosts file, disabled SpywareBlaster protection, and
> added briefcase.yahoo.com to the Trusted Zone, but still cannot access the
> files in the public folder -- unless I am logged into Yahoo! It makes me
> wonder if anyone else can get to those files, or if it is just me because
> my browser settings are rather high and custom.
>
> I am very hesitant to place the URL of my briefcase in this newsgroup
> because it contains my primary email address, and I do not want to be
> spammed. I'd be happy to privately email someone the URL if they want to
> test it, but I cannot post it here in this newsgroup.

>> Beats me.
>>
>> I only have sites listed in the Restricted Zone thanks to SpywareBlaster.

>>> 1 = Local Intranet Zone
>>> 2 = Trusted sites Zone
>>> 3 = Internet Zone