Retired_bill

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I've been trying to get Norton's Ghost to save to an external drive and I get a message that it is unable to write to file. I've tried solving this through chatting with tech support to no avail. I also get a windows message at the same time that says "Delayed writ failed cannot write file I:\$Mft" (I: is my external drive. I tried another backup program and it just locked up necessitating a system reboot. I'm thinking it may be an OS problem. I tried reloading Windows and that didn't help. Any suggestions? Bill

Retired_bill

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I'm using Ghost to produce an image of my C: drive which is 35GB. I don't know the size of the file $Mft. What do you mean by FS?

G

FS = File System ie: NTFS or FAT32. I've had similar problems with external drives. In Device Manager, check which Policy is set for the drive. Try changing from one to the other.

Grumpy

Retired_bill

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Iguess my brain was sleepy. Of course FS does refer to the file system. I'm using NTFS. The problem has been resolved. I went to device manager , rt. clicked on the drive, went to policies and changed "optimize for quick removal" to "optimize for performance" It worked!! Thank you very much.

Bill