wdcook

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hi, I have a copy of Windows XP home OEM and I was wondering if when I built my new PC if I would be able to resuse this copy? Its just the Regular XP home OEM cd you used to buy from Newegg.

Yes, you can only have that copy installed on one machine, but you can transfer it to another machine, it may even activate online, worst case senario would be having to telephone MSFT to activate it, but thats no big deal at all.

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I've reused OEM copies on multiple PC builds, but on only one at a time. I think an extremely strict interpretation of the EULA would say it can be used only once, but I've never had a problem with activating on a new build. If it won't activate over the internet and says you have to call, you'll usually get an automated response that just asks how many machines you have it installed on, and all you have to do is be honest and say 'one' and it'll give you a new activation code.

The worst part is having to read the long series of digits over the phone to the automated voice at the other end and then typing in the new code it reads back to you.

I've activated OEM copies of XP and Vista multiple times without problems.