Computer uptime stories

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
So mates, do you can any tales of incredible uptimes or amazing downtimes?

These days I switch my computer off, but back in the day when I was into Folding @Home, I got about a week's uptime folding on WIndows Vista. (Yes, Vista)

Once I set my Windows computer to record the Australian Open.

Turns out when I got back that it had crashed after 1 day, only recording the bits nobody cares about, restarting and sipping on my electricity bill for 4 weeks.

This time, I'm going to assemble a Linux (BSD if possible) PVR computer when I go overseas this time next Jan.

Have you had any interesting experiences with computer uptime?

I used to work for a firm with a main office on the south coast of the UK. We had a small office in London where we ran an OS/2 server. As we rarely visited the London Office, and even then wouldn't reboot the server unless we needed to, it was left running 24/7.

I think the longest uptime we had was in the region of 2 years. OS/2 was an extremely stable OS.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
uptime.png

My home server as of right now. Not too bad. :D

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Back when the studio was based out of our home our little DNS server cruised along for 6+ months. The only reason I had to restart it was the house next door got hit by lightening and the shock flipped the switch on everything in OUR house. :lol:

At my first job after Uni we had quite a range of Unix boxen. I'd been there about 14 months when we had a power outage to the building that lasted a weekend. For many of the systems it was the first time they'd been powered off since the move to that office about 3 years prior. Mission critical stuff was all on UPS and shut down gracefully but the dev and test systems were just plugged into the main supply.

Most things came back up OK but one Sun Sparc Station refused to spin up a couple of external SCSI drives. The sys admin guy was a cool fella and just walked into the server room, picked up the offending discs and dropped them from about 2 inches back onto the desk. Turned the power back on and the system booted fine.