Coolermaster 430W PSU good enough for my upgrade?

Hey guys!

I have a Coolermaster RS-430-PMSR 430W PSU.

Link from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171007

I am thinking of doing an upgrade to my system, a fairly cheap upgrade to:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz Socket 939 Processor
ASUS A8V-XE Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard
Corsair 2GB DDR2-675 XMS2-5400 Xtreme Performance Memory
using a
ATI X1900GT or a X1950GT Video card

will my current PSU work fine for these? I use everything at stock, I dont overclock. I've been browsing the forums trying to find somebody with a similiar setup to see what kind of PSU they use but couldnt find a for sure answer.

Thank you for the help! :D
13 answers Last reply
More about coolermaster 430w good upgrade
  1. awesome, thank you for your help! :D

when you mean combined +12V rails, you mean the +12V1 and +12V2, add the amps below them together to equal the amp I need?

such as for one example, one of your PSU listed has a 22A under the +12V1 and a 20A under the +12V2... add the 22 and 20 together and tada! higher then what you said I need?

:D
  2. No, those ratings are just the total amount of power that rail can handle without failing. Adding 'em up won't get you anywhere. The PSU 101-102 sticky at the top of this section explains how to calculate amperage.
  3. Get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

Or if you have more money this is an excellent psu (sorry for the bias, I own one :) ):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817139001
  4. thanks for the replies guys.

some more noob questions. :D

i saw the equation to calculate amps, W/V=A... i checked out the ref list and did some calculations to see if Im using the right numbers and it seems like I am... so I took this equation and popped it into my current PSU and I got 32A... im doing something wrong arent i.. :cry: 385 / 12
  5. Well for your PSU, it is 385w max for the +3.3/+5/+12v combined, so you just have to split it up accordingly.

For modern systems I usually give 100w combined for "typical loading" (of non-oc, bare bones sytems) on the +3.3/+5v, rails - so the remainder is available to the +12v. So...

385w-100w=285w, since we have +12v only we can calc for amps...
    285w/12v=24A.

However... We have a fixed hard limit of +12v@19A or 228w max on your unit. Why is that you may ask? Well look at the total +3.3/+5v is rated for 210w max, which is pretty high... Which was normal for a single-rail "legacy" ATXv1.3 unit way back when the +5v fed the motherboard for the CPU power. "Modern" systems have an ATX+12v 4 or 8 pin CPU connector, so the demand for +12v increased while the +5v decreased. Hence, ATX v2.x was born and dual +12v rails became standard.

So your power supply is an excellent legacy replacement, or maybe if you are going to perform a dual PSU mod that would work well since you are effectively adding a "second rail" via another power supply.
  6. Sorry doolittle but it doesnt work that way. You cant do:

total power - (5V + 3.3V wattage) = 12V wattage

You MUST already know the combined 12V wattage SEPARATE to the rest.
  7. thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it :D .

I was going to just pick one of those PSU on the beautifully crafted ref list but then saw this on newegg... seems to fit the amp i need too! what you guys think? =)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032

the label on the PSU is nicely labeled!
  8. STAY THE F*CK AWAY FROM ROSEWILL!

Their units suck. I would only use a Rosewill psu in a persons PC if I really wanted them to have a dead computer.

Pick one off the list that mpilchfamily put together, all are awesome quality units.
  9. There is one guy on here who will shoot you for blaspheming his precious rosewill :lol:
  10. haha wow im glad i checked this thread again, I almost bought it! hehe, thanks again for all the help guys!

you rule! :D
  11. random/mpilch

you both misread, I was trying to explain why older atxv1.3 units with a single +12v rectifier won't work in a modern system but work well for older boards that feed the CPU from the +5v - the unused potential that would normally be available to a dual-12v rectified system just isn't there.

yes that unit will not have the capability to support the 24A on a single rectifier but if it had a second rail of 15a max / 19a peak then it would be no problem. I use 100w since I measured my system bare-bones at 80w for the +5/+3.3 so just overstating slightly. Have not tried on a ddr2 system as of yet but should be similiar unless you are running a disk array and/or memory overclocking.

Perhaps you just didn't read the second paragraph at all and just the 24A part - so it was worded poorly after I re-read it
  12. I have not thought to do this on the psu calc to guesstimate the +5v/+3.3v load, however I found the results very interesting...

eXtreme PSU calc"]Motherboard: Regular - Desktop

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR SDRAM

SATA HDD: 1 HDD

DVD-ROM Drive: 1 Drive

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

System Load: 100 %

Recommended Wattage: 98 Watts
    :wink:
  13. Quote:
    If we use the actuall numbers from the PSU then we get, as mentioned above, 385-210=175. So 175/12=14.58A.

Using this logic, the corsair 520w is only good for +12v@30a... The corsair 520w label, states:

+3.3/+5=140w
    +12v=480w
    -12/+5vsb=25w
    total=520w

To test your theory, let's omit the +12v@480w and subtract the -12/+5vsb to get the +3.3/+5/+12

+3.3/+5/+12=520-25=495w

And finally, take out the +5/3.3 max... +12v=495w-140w=355w or 29.5A max
    IMO that is a bit low.

Using my true 80w measured for the +5/+3.3, we get 495-80=415w/34.6a
    which is a much more "realistic" attainable +12v power when "typically loaded"

The capacity may be there for +12@40A however that does not give much room for the rest of the system. However, that would make it an excellent dedicated GPU PSU with that much on the +12 and so little left over for the other rails :P
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cooler Master Socket Components Product