Windows XP Mouse & Keyboard freezing

Grobble

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
After attempting to research this problem, I have found many other people with the same issue, but no answers yet.

Anyways XP has been working fine, then one day when I restarted the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work at the startup screen (no hardware or software changes were made prior to me starting it up so I'm not sure what caused the problem). Safe mode, repairing, and restoring all have the same issues. I have 2 other operating systems installed (Vista and CentOS) as well as a couple live disks, and the mouse and keyboard work fine with them. I checked the registry and no unusual programs are starting up, and I also deleted the logitech drivers for my mouse and keyboard hoping that windows would use its default drivers during startup, but this didn't help. I need to find a way to repair this issue since I have some irreplaceable programs installed.

Also the mouse is PS2 and the keyboard is USB.

stevens8031

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

I have the same problem. The system was in use when the keyboard and mouse stopped working. It was a dual boot system that the keyboard and mouse work with the other OS. No software was being loaded. At the time of the failure, a card game that had been used for over a year was being started. The system will start up great but the keyboard and mouse will not work. Safe mode is the same. I did notice that if a constantly move the mouse during OS start up. The mouse pointer will move about 1/4 of an inch right after the Windows XP login screen is displayed. It never moves after that. I am running Windows XP with all the latest SP and patches. Any ideas?