I cant see some of the drives of windows in ubuntu

bvkranthi

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hello,
i installed ubuntu 11 in one of my drive but i want to see all my drives in ubuntu as i see in windows along with the ubuntu installation drive

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Check in the /media/ directory. If they are present there, you can mount them wherever you see fit. Also ensure that you have the necessary drivers installed to view NTFS partitions; I do believe they are supplied with Ubuntu however.

bvkranthi

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
*i had one hard disk of capacity 320 GB in my laptop. i seperated the drives to 50, 50, 100, 100.
*i installed windows in first 50 that is C drive. when i tried to install ubuntu in other drives it does not accept as they are basic drives. and for laptop i know that there should be one dynamic drive and others basic drives.
*so i installed ubuntu in C drive by allotting some 15 GB space. now i am able to mount or see the second 50GB drive only after booting through ubuntu.
*i need to know why or how the other 100 and 100 GB drives are not there in Ubuntu for mounting.
*In ubuntu the drives are visible like one is 250 around and one drive is 50 around that is second 50 GB. i hope you understand my problem.

g0rd0

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Okay, so we're looking for partitions, that makes things a bit more interesting. How were they formatted? Pyroflea is right I've never seen Ubuntu have a problem with NTFS, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Any chance they were encrypted or hidden from inside Windows?

Also, I'm pretty sure gparted isn't included in the default installation of Ubuntu but might be helpful here. Try installing it, and see if it can find your partitions.

Mu33rto

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
use fdisk to find hdd partition layout
"fdisk -l"
or
fdisk -l | grep NTFS
To list only NTFS partitions

IDE =hd[a,b,c,d,....]x
SATA =sd[a,b,c,d,...]x

x will be the partition number. Use cli to mount.

If ntfs-3g is installed type "ntfs-3g /dev/device /mnt/mntpoint"
Device will be sda1 or hda1 or what ever fdisk shows as the device. mntpoint will be the directory you created for the mount point.

The only thing you will have to do is edit "/etc/fstab" file for the mount points and options.