Status
Not open for further replies.

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
What are the main source of incompatibility? How can I tell if my program will work in Vista? As far as I know, Vista keeps the registry and Win32 API so what's the problem? Is it the major kernel overhaul, or the existence of UAC?

Solution
Vista has a new security and driver model. The security changes entail that apps must request admin privileges through UAC and some apps were never updated to do this. The remedy is to right click on the .exe and select 'run as administrator'.

At this point there is almost no compatibility problem with reasonably new software and almost all old software will run with the fix mentioned above.

If you have any doubts about a particular program it is best to research it individually. The older the app the more likely there could be an issue but by and large Vista runs most anything without issue now. The buzz about Vista having problems was started early on when there were some real issues but even though that's almost totally behind...
Vista has a new security and driver model. The security changes entail that apps must request admin privileges through UAC and some apps were never updated to do this. The remedy is to right click on the .exe and select 'run as administrator'.

At this point there is almost no compatibility problem with reasonably new software and almost all old software will run with the fix mentioned above.

If you have any doubts about a particular program it is best to research it individually. The older the app the more likely there could be an issue but by and large Vista runs most anything without issue now. The buzz about Vista having problems was started early on when there were some real issues but even though that's almost totally behind us now the echoes continue to reverberate.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.