Laptop wont boot or runs very slow then restarts on it's own

foxxgirl29

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I have a Toshiba Satellite (it's about 2yrs old). Yesterday I did a interlnet explorer update and when my system did a restart to install the screen went black. I powered off then on and it would goto the xp loading page then go black again. Tried to restart several times sometime I could get to the login page and once I logged in my desktop would appear but I could not do anything. Tried f8 went to last known good configuration but still same issue. Tried safe mode but you can not do a restore in safe mode. Several times when i was able to get logged in a blue screen would flash but very fast and it would say something about an error and needing to restart. Any ideas or suggestions????? Also I cannot find my original reboot disk that came with my laptop(still looking)

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
do you know if the update also had another update for the video card?

if you can use nsafe mode it means its a driver issue, try uninstalling the video card driver in device manager and restarting.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
if safe modes working, right click my computer and select device manager, select display then right click your card, select uninstall, you will probably be asked to reboot...

when it doesnt make it to the login screen, does it just go black and thats it?

foxxgirl29

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
ok it says I have ATI Radeon Express 200m Series is this the right thing to uninstall? then what happens? How do I get it back?

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
click on the application / system options

look for yellow exclamation marks and red error circles
if you see anything double click to load and see what it says.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
you could try right clicking the application/system option and selecting clear events, then reboot, let it fill in a few, then go back into safemode and see what came up.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
hmm the wmi is probably being created by the ati software, is it exclamation mark or standard paper icon? if its just paper then we will ignore it and move on.

foxxgirl29

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
the DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip Service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

foxxgirl29

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Ok! I'm still having issues. I can run windows xp noramlly, no more black screen. However it runs very slow. it takes about 5-10 minutes to fully load. Then Sometimes it just freezes, i can move my mouse but cannot click on anything. Can get to sysytem restore in time. I can start in safe mode. Again I'm having trouble finding my repair cd that came with my computer.

foxxgirl29

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
There are over 50 processes running and thats about all I can count before it shuts down. I managed to write alot down and checked them out. most were ok a couple of adware. I think it was system.exe that used 98. I have been using my daughters laptop to research ways to fix this. I installed Vista on her laptop about a year ago, I was curious if i installed it on mine would it help with removing my issues xp?

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
a fresh install would probably help remove any bloatware on the machine as well as clearing any and all old drivers etc,

with vista ram is important, how much do you have installed on the machine?