Can I assume that...

HDDFreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 is the best value cpu cooler for ocing a C2D to 2.8ghz.
And is the sunbeam tech silent whisper cheapass knockoff of it worth my money? It is about 20% cheaper. Also, would it be worth spending the extra $11 and picking up the zalman NBF47 to replace the heatsink on the DS3? Thanks in advance

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
It looks like a cheap ass knockoff. I wouldnt risk it though. You can get a genuine Freezer 7 Pro for $25 over at Xoxide.

If you're only going to 2.8ghz the stock cooler will work fine. The Freezer 7 will alow you to oc higher if you decide to though, and it'll net you overall better temps.

Spanki

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Yeah, in that price-range, I think the AC7 Pro is probably the best bang for the buck. Another one that's getting good reviews is the Cooler Master Hyper Tx, but it's a few dollars more ($24.91 at Mwave). It's newer than the AC7 Pro and reportedly quieter and either cools the same or much better, depending on how you interpret all the reviews.

HDDFreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
It looks like a cheap ass knockoff. I wouldnt risk it though. You can get a genuine Freezer 7 Pro for $25 over at Xoxide.

If you're only going to 2.8ghz the stock cooler will work fine. The Freezer 7 will alow you to oc higher if you decide to though, and it'll net you overall better temps.

I think I stuffed up the install of the stock intel cooler. I idle at around 49+ degrees @ 2.33 with stock volts, and playing cs-source I go up to 61+ degrees (ambient ~24 degrees, yay for autumn :D ). I have some really cheap thermal paste lying around, should I clean off the Intel HSF and CPU and try that first.
Also, I would like to be able to keep this oc (2.8, when I get my new ram) in summer. Thats talking like 34+plus ambient regulary. Also, no one mentioned anything about replacing the northbridge (I think that's what the big gold heatsink on the motherboard is) heatsink with that zalman one. I ask because it seems to get really hot @ stock temps.
Thanks for the quick responses, sorry I couldn't offer the same courtesy back, I've been busy (my HDD died :cry: ).

*EDIT* What about the Zalman 7700CU?

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Here thermal resistance is the key:

Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro: 0.17°C/Watt

Silent Whisper 775 Version: 0.19°C/Watt

Cooler Master Hyper Tx: not listed

for 20 bucks Arctic is hard to beat.