Vista or XP for my new system? I'm stuck

hart140

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I ordered parts for my new system this weekend and it should be here anyday. I was wondering which operating system I should run on it. I am mostly going to be using the computer for some gaming (nothing too extreme), running some applications for my engineering courses in school (things like CAD, MatLab, Lab View, etc), and just all around general purposes. I can aquire a copy of XP Pro SP3 or Vista Ultimate SP1 from my school for free. Both are 32-bit. I was wondering which one I should go with or if it really even makes a difference. Would it be at all to my advantage to scrap the 32bit systems and go buy a 64bit?

rasmasyean

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
64-bit will make those kind of programs faster...usually if they are 64-bit. But it's probably not going to make that much difference for what you are doing.

Sometimes schools use "old" versions so you might want to check on that if you are going Vista 64. But newer versions should work as those are the industry leaders normally when it comes to advance programs. They have had 64-bit versions for a long time in order for companies to make parts with 100,000 components to analyze, etc. If it doesn't work, maybe they will even give you a new one or you can acquire it somehow. But if they are giving you VU64 for free, I would presume that they expect all their "class software" to work on it. Also, if there are small unsolved problems with Vista 32/64 with your version, it could be just some rarely used function that wouldn't affect you. You will only use a small subset of those programs. I'm sure any issues are documented, and worse comes to worse...just do that part of your homework at school computers.

What OS's does your school sport? I know it's sometimes different in the computer center vs. the labs.

hart140

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Well the school doesn't give out the 64bit operating systems. They just give the 32bit. If I were to get the 64 I would have to buy it from newegg. And if it's not gonna make that much of a difference for what I am doing then I'll just get the 32 for free. So, is everyone saying Vista over XP for sure though? And my school still uses XP Pro in all the labs.

rasmasyean

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah...unless you get a hold of the 64-bit versions, and do some heavy calculations, it probably won't matter than much whether 32-bit or 64-bit. Not sure but I think SolidWorks said they will be only 64-bit eventually in a video a while back. But that's prolly only something that like Boeing and stuff uses for now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDOf3IEr4FU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apj4odggoGY

I've seen engineering students with both Vista and XP but I don't know what they run. I imagine it won't be too risky to go Vista. Of course there's Linux on rare occasions and Macs on rarer occasions but those aren't usually for running those kinds of software. It's more for special projects and messing around.

But keep in mind that only 64-bit can use the full 4GB of RAM. You will lose some with 32-bit.

You can check here to help decide.
http://iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List