JoHubb

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I've completed a new build. I'd like to be able to boot up with XP Pro/Vista64/Ubuntu or similar distro.

I have two HDDs (750 GB and 500 GB). Ideally I would like to be presented with a boot choice menu - I don't think I could be bothered going into BIOS every time to select the boot disk.

I need answers to these questions, please:

1. Should I partition my HDDs and if so into how many partitions?
2. Should I install all the OSs on separate partitions on the same HDD?
3. I think I should install XP first, then Vista, then Linux - is this correct?
4. Is there an advantage in installing Vista on one HDD and XP/Linux on the other? If I do this must I disconnect the other drive during the installs?
5. Once the OS's are installed will they be able to use both HDDs and all the partitions? In other words, if I want to save a Linux file, will I be able to save it anywhere? Similarly, for a Vista or XP file?
6. Similarly, will I be able to install and run XP/Vista/Linux programs from anywhere? What about graphics drivers, etc?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks.

John

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I ran a vista XP dual boot for a while and im almost positive the only OS you can multi-boot vista with is XP. I think it has to do with the booting procedure.

Will try and answer your individual questions:

1 & 2. Its purely up to you, but each OS would require its own partition.
3. yeah install XP first so the Vista boot manager can gather the correct data
4. I dont think there is any advantage/disadvantage, if you are using multiple drives leave them all pluged in (this is important)
5. you have full controll over where you want files saved
6. No, you can only run programs installed in a specific OS while in that OS.

A decent guide below:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6157570.html

Get a copy of VistaBootPro (free) allows you to re-name "earlier version of windows" to Windows XP in the boot manager:

http://i.t.com.com/i/tr/downloads/images/shultz1/dual_boot/dual_boot_vista_10.png

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I ran a vista XP dual boot for a while and im almost positive the only OS you can multi-boot vista with is XP. I think it has to do with the booting procedure.

Will try and answer your individual questions:

1 & 2. Its purely up to you, but each OS would require its own partition.
3. yeah install XP first so the Vista boot manager can gather the correct data
4. I dont think there is any advantage/disadvantage, if you are using multiple drives leave them all pluged in (this is important)
5. you have full controll over where you want files saved
6. No, you can only run programs installed in a specific OS while in that OS.

A decent guide below:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6157570.html

Get a copy of VistaBootPro (free) allows you to re-name "earlier version of windows" to Windows XP in the boot manager:

dual_boot_vista_10.png

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
just install vista 64bit (preferably with 8GB of ram) and use VMware to run the other two OSes in a virtual machine. This will save you from using a boot menu, and will let you run whatever you need to run from within 1 OS. This will make the partitioning of your hdds much simpler. Just partition all of them for Vista, and then VMware will create a virtual disk for each of the other OSes.

JoHubb

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Hmm...I'm very doubtful about VMware for my purposes i.e flight simulation design for two different FS programs. One runs best in Vista 64. The default bits of the older program will run in Vista 64 but addons may not. For reliability and stability I need XP for this program, and also because many users are sticking with the older program.

Programs utilising DirectX 3D acceleration will not run inside a VM. The graphics processing unit in VMware just isn't up to it.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
oh i didn't know it was to be used for gaming, otherwise, i wouldn't have suggested it, lol.

can i ask, what's the linux for? you only mention Vista and XP for your flight sim.

maybe you can do a dual boot with vista and xp and use linux in the VM?

JoHubb

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I'm curious about Linux. I've not planned to do anything in particular. Maybe it could run from a VM. I might give it a try once I've got the XP/Vista dual boot up and running.

Thanks for the suggestion.