I've been researching my components for a while now and was all set to go with Seasonic's M12 700 Watt Modular Power Supply. However, I just read some information on www.slizone.com that stated that this PS was not sufficient to run 2 8800 GTX's (superclocked) in SLI.
While I don't plan on going with SLI right from the start, I would like to have the option to do so in the future without purchasing a different power supply.
Can anyone assist me in picking a better choice of a power supply? Or do you think that this one will be enough to run the GTX's in SLI? (The website stated that it could only run the GTS in SLI...)
My 3 criteria for picking one out:
1. Must fit neatly in the Antec P182 without having to remove the bottom drive cage (seeing that I already can't use the top cage due to the size of the 8800 GTX...)
2. Must be modular.
3. The closer to silent, the better!
Here's the build that I'm currently looking at:
Case: Antec P182 SE Mobo: Leaning towards EVGA nForce 680i SLI CPU: Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67 GHz (may upgrade this selection after the July 22 price drop) CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12F/Artic Silver 5 (Already Purchased) RAM: Debating on using either 4GB of Corsair XMS DDR2-800 (4x1MB) or 4 GB of Patriot DDR2-800 (2x2GB) Power Supply: SeaSonic M12 700 Watt ??? Hard Drive 1: WD Raptor - 150 GB Hard Drive 2: WD Caviar SE16 - 320 GB Video Card: EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty DVD/RW and DVD Drives: 1 DVD and 1 DVD/RW Floppy/7-in-1 Card Reader:Mitsumi Operating System:Leaning towards 64-bit Vista
Thanks for any help you can provide!
More about :seasonic m12 700 watt build
May 24, 2007 12:17:00 PM
That's what I had gathered from the research that I did, but the SLIzone website made me second guess myself. Thanks for the reassurance!
Have you thought about the PC P&C 750? (not modular) I love mine and it will do 2 GTX in SLI. I didnt have to remove the lower fan either.
Not sure what prices are like on your P182SE and the Seasonic, but you could switch to the new Antec P190 which comes with 1200watts - that should run 2 GTX's in SLI, I think. hehe
182SE $200 - 220
Seasonic $200 - 210
Total = $400 - 420
Egg has the P190 for $450.00
But the 182SE is nice looking.
May 25, 2007 1:03:23 PM
Yeah, I looked into the P&C 750 and found it to be a really nice looking PS with very good specs. However, I'm doing my first ever build and am trying to make things easier and cleaner by going with a modular PS.
The Antec P190 is a very good suggestion. I saw that it just appeared on NewEgg yesterday or the day before and it would actually only cost me about $80 or so more (with shipping factored in) to purchase it rather than the P182 SE and the Seasonic PS. I don't know, though...I'm a bit turned off by the look of it as well as the thought of dealing with two non-modular power supply's. I've read conflicting reviews of the P190. One said to use one PS for the Mobo and Video Card's and another review said to use one PS for the Mobo/accessories and the other for the drives. :?:
Maybe if Amazon doesn't come through with my P182 SE, I may consider the P190 in more depth. (I ordered my case on May 5th for $188 plus free shipping and despite the website always saying that it's 'in stock' it still hasn't been shipped as of May 25th!)
May 25, 2007 1:09:14 PM
Good point about the G92. I hadn't even thought about that! Since I'm trying to be as future proof as possible (hence my choice of 64-bit Vista), I need to take that into consideration.
It's funny, because I've noticed that most people around this forum consider future-proofing to be looking out for the next 2-3 years but my current computer (Dell's top-of-the-line model as of December of 1999), has lasted me nearly 8 years with only a couple video card and some additional RAM as upgrades. I'm hoping to get another 8 with minimal upgrades (video card/CPU) out of this rig.
If you want the new system to last you may also want to put off the mobo purchase until the P35's and PCI-E 2.0 which should release next month.
May 26, 2007 4:35:12 PM
Thanks for the sound advice, Elbert. I'll definately wait and see what new mobo selections and technology are released in the next month or two. I've waited this long, I can wait some more! (I know there's some that say if you use that philosophy you'll always be waiting for something, but oh well!)