No driver for Windows Vista?

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Hi Guys!
I`m thinking of upgrading (downgrading?) from XP SP2 to Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit, but there is a one huge problem!
My motherboard (MSI K8N Diamond Plus) has an onboard Creative CA0106 Audigy sound card and Windows Vista does not detect the sound card.(yellow ? in device manager)
I searched the whole MSI website & some other web sites but i found no drivers for this onboard audio for Windows Vista, only XP/XP x64.(XP drivers are kind of old anyway(2005))
Am i doomed to use Windows XP SP2? (it's awesome anyway but want to experience Vista as new Halo2 only runs in Vista!)
Should i buy a new sound card? (i love this onboard sound BTW)
Any help?
Thanks!
Guess i need a
67s261f.gif

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Absolutely no compelling reason to switch to Vista at this time. When SP1 comes out and/or there is a DX10 game worth playing then go for it.

Until then just hang loose.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Absolutely no compelling reason to switch to Vista at this time. When SP1 comes out and/or there is a DX10 game worth playing then go for it.

Until then just hang loose.

I gotta say he's right. I personally have a dual-boot system with XP and Vista 64-bit. I got it about 2-3 months ago. For a new system, Vista is definitly th way to go. It's more responsive (with plenty of memory), compatibility is good and it's more future proof. But there's still enough rough edges to stay away from it for a old computer until it's all fixed.

In my case it was better to get it install while at the shop and be OK with it after. I actually use XP only when needed and that's LESS then 10% of the total time I use my computer. So overall, not bad at all anyway.

imrightbehindyou

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
Well, there are a lot of opinions about the XP / Vista switch. Personally, I plan to stick with XP as long as I can, just because it seems to have better support and run faster, from all that I have seen. However, in response to your initial question I did want to tell you that you are not left in the dark with that audio card. Vista uses OpenAL support. That card is supported in Vista. Go to: http://developer.creative.com/ for more details. Specifically, if you go to:
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?MainCategory=1&nRegionFK=&nCountryFK=&nLanguageFK=&sOSName=Windows+Vista+32-bit&region=1&Product_Name=Audigy+SE&Product_ID=14257&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=26&drivertype=1&x=28&y=13 you can get what you were looking for. I'm not saying Vista one way or the other here, but I just thought I'd offer a bit of help in locating your driver.

eav

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
i personnally love Vista. boots alot faster than XP and once you get used to it, switching from one application to another saves a bundle of time. Obviously i'm not talking about going from messenger to word application... the interface is great. glitches? well yes some products are not supported yet or maybe never. my laserjet 1020 not even a year old isn't but that's only HP being to lazy to produce some drivers. if you have two gigs of ram, i think it's worth it. file compressing is faster or it seems to be. and the search application is amazing. you will all have to switch to vista sooner or later and when dx10 games are out well everyone from Tom's will join the parade. have a decent cpu to run it 2 cores whaverer brand you are using and look at what you have and see if your product is supported. might as well get used to it now. some old games don't work but hey, do a dual boot if you have to. error reporting log book actually works and when fixes due come, you get notified to download the software, this happened with x1900xtx drivers and x-fi soundcard. the more people jump on the wagon, the faster the little bugs will get fixed.

for me, the choice is clear: I'm now under Linux 64-bit. All the visual goodies without the price tags (software and newer hardware) nor the lack of hardware support.
Yup, the Audigy 2 is supported (emu10k based).
Yup, it boots fast.
Yup, you can switch from one app to the other with a 3D carousel.

Guess what? DX10 support is already planned in Wine (preliminary support by end of summer). DX7 to 9 is undergoing heavy tightening these days (right now it supports DirectX7 to 9 better than some native Direct3D drivers on Windows).

There is a complete media center (MythTV).

All of Vista Ultimate for free - without DRM. Yum.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
My experience with vista has ben a positive one so far but it does lack some of the gaming power that XP has. even in toms cpu tests posted yesterday, it shows XP having a huge gain in gaming apps.

to the OP,

you can use the XP drivers to install your creative sound card, just make sure you download either the driver by itself (.inf files) or get the file in zip format. use device manager and point it to the folder with the driver .inf's and it will install with no problems. this will not work with an auto installer tho.