port forwarding issues

ddrum2000

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
So I just moved to a new apartment and we get wireless internet included. It is one of the webpage login networks. Fortunately I have a wired hookup to the router but I still need to log in. The network admin doesn't want to open ports for me to use VNC, remote desktop, SFTP server, bittorret, etc. :( I was wondering what options there were out there. I know that for SFTP and bittorrent I can purchase a web hosting service to host the server. (Any experience with web page based bittorrent clients?) Are there any alternatives to a webhosting service for SFTP and bittorrent? Also is there any way to VNC or remote desktop to my home PC without an open port? I am looking for all sorts of suggestions but preferably free or low cost. Thanks.

riser

Illustrious
Change the port that VNC or Remote desktop uses. Default is 3389 but you'll want something lower, under 1023.

Not sure if you can change it within VNC, I'm assuming you can.

ddrum2000

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
Thats not a problem but I don't see how that can make my computer visible to the outside world because the network admin has not opened that port for me? Am I missing something?

G

For Remote Access, you could use the free version of loginme.com which doesn't require any port forwarding.

Grumpy

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
hmm problem here i would tell the network admin to shove it up his @@@@ for not letting you do this stuff despite you clearly knowing what you are doing alternitively you could become mates with him so he will let you do it not many other options really unless you get a seperate internet connection