Upgrading to 802.11n, should old stuff be stay on 802.11b?

713alan

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
I have a mixed 802.11g (router, laptop) and 802.11b (network camera) with my desktop and a NAS plugged into the router. I know that having 11b stuff slows the network compared to pure 11g. I am planning to upgrade my 11g stuff to 11n. I will buy an 11n router and an 11n laptop adaptor.

I saw that there is a Buffalo Airstation Nfiniti that is a dual band router. It runs both 11a and 11b/g/n networks.

For my 11b network camera I have two option: (1) run it as 11b and have a mixed 11b/11n network, or (2) get an 11a access point and plug the network camera into the 11a access point.

Which is the better choice?

Will the laptop be able to view the camera even on separate networks - I think so since the router should handle that.

Thanks for your advice.

akhilles

Splendid
In my experience, it's best to use individual wifi access points for a/b/g & n. I have a dlink that does all the above, but not at the same time. Either the old 3 or the new n. I could add a G router to dlink. My pc has an n NIC which is using G (backward-compatible). My handhelds use b & g.

I'd just get an N & a G routers with N being the main one storing ISP login info:

[MODEM]=[N]=[G]