docingram

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Just built my first PC, ASUS commando MB, cd2 6600, evga gts8800, OCZ platinum 800 1gx2. A few questions. When I load up the bundled dvd software (divx I think), it makes the computed not sense the dvd anymore. It shows on the boot up page, but after windows (XP 64b) loads, my dvd "disappears" and I can't use it. Second, I installed 2 seagate barracudas, have them in sata port 1 and 3 (master & slave), didn't want to do raid with them, just a OS and data drive. The computer shows the first drive, but not the second. Do I need to format something or change something in the bios to get it to show up? Next, when I loaded up my first game, I was going to install dierct X 9c, but it said it wouldn't load. Is this a XP 64 bit issue, since the game still ran fine? Last, I'm building a second "basic use" computer tonight and was going to install XP64b. It's got 1gig RAM. Can I use the same disc, or do I need another copy of windows? If I need a new copy, I'll probably just get another gig of RAM and do Vista. Sorry for all the questions. Got to say, it's much faster than my 4 y/o gateway PC! Thanks!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Starting with the 2nd hdd, there is no Mast/Slave with SATA drives. Try attaching it to the 2nd not the 3rd SATA connector. Also run the diagnostic/repair software from the Seagate website. If there is any data on it, back it up. Check the RAID settings in the BIOS, they should be disabled.
As for the DVD drive, uninstall DVD software and make sure the drive's firmware is up to date and also make sure you have the most recent version of the software. Also make sure you have all the Windows updates. Check the software website for XP 64 compatibility issues, likely you're not the only one running into the problem. You will have to get a another copy of Windows because you can only run it legally run it on one machine at a time.

TRENDING THREADS