Sign in with
Your question

Best backup PCI GPU? (for gaming if possible)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2007 4:40:40 PM

I have a fairly old system, a Pentium 4 Prescott 3GHz w/ HT and 1 GB DDR 3200, which used to have a 9800pro AGP. But, for some reason the 9800pro just quit on me one day.
I have a backup GPU, a Geforce2MX AGP (which runs little to nothing for gaming), but I've decided I need a better backup GPU in case this ever happens again. Of course, with it being PCI, I don't want to spend too much $ on it. I saw the Open Box 6200 PCI on Newegg a week ago for $45, but didn't jump on it fast enough, so now I'm starting to question whether or not I should even get a PCI video card.

I know by the end of the year I will be building a new system, probably a P35 board w/ Penryn and DDR2 or 3. I will also probably get an 8800GTS320, but if that were to die mysteriously like my 9800pro, I wouldn't be able to use my Geforce 2 AGP backup card. Also, right now, I cannot do anything close to gaming for about a year if I were to not pick up a PCI card.

ARGH! ...so confused.

Anyone have any idea what I'm rambling about?
If so, any suggestions?

More about : backup pci gpu gaming

May 23, 2007 4:46:43 PM

You could get an X1550 which would run a lot of games. Don't expect eye candy or high framerates though, and they're pretty pricey for just a PCI card. There's also the 9250, which would work and is cheaper.
May 23, 2007 4:54:32 PM

I'm unfamiliar with the performance of a 9250, is it better than the 6200 I would have bought?
Related resources
May 23, 2007 5:02:09 PM

Ah, I didn't see that. The 6200 would perform better than the 9250.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2007 6:43:28 PM

Forget a back-up PCI card unless you repair computers.

Better to save the money and then simply go out and buy the card you want when you need to replace it without trying to bargain hunt, that's a better use of your money IMO.

If you're concerned about such things, when you upgrade your system get a mobo with integrated graphics, but really don't waste the money unless you need it.

You can find a cheap original Radeon or Rage or Gefore PCI card at a computer surplus store for about $5 if you're that interested in an emergency card, but don't waste much more than that.
May 23, 2007 7:18:36 PM

Quote:
Forget a back-up PCI card unless you repair computers.

I wish I could, but that would leave me with nothing more than word processor for the rest of the year... No recent games seem to run well on a Geforce 2 MX.
Quote:
Better to save the money and then simply go out and buy the card you want when you need to replace it without trying to bargain hunt, that's a better use of your money IMO.

I do see your point. I guess I just expected my 9800pro to last longer than it did... I get to play the fun waiting game I suppose, since an AGP card won't help the new board and an PCIe card won't help me right now.
Quote:
You can find a cheap original Radeon or Rage or Gefore PCI card at a computer surplus store for about $5 if you're that interested in an emergency card, but don't waste much more than that.

In a true emergency, I have an old Trident3D PCI video card. But the thing is so old, I bet it couldn't run a flash animation.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2007 7:39:38 PM

I see your predicament if it's a long time between now and the rest of your upgrade.

Personally I'd lookf for a cheap AGP GF6600 in the bargain bin, as it's resale value would be rather high and of course performance better than the GF6200 PCI and X1300Pro-X1550 PCI.

If you can't find that, then something like this heavily rebated X1650 on NewEgg would also be a 'good gamer' for now and have great resale potential. It would destroy the others, and even the GF6800XT I saw on new egg, should easily outgame your old card, and is worth the premium over what you were going to pay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For $25 more than that GF6200 PCI you were looking at, seems like the better way to go. Anything cheaper than that is usually much worse than that.

For your situation, I'd say maximize resale potential then.

And yeah keep that trident for the 'emergency card' all you need is something that will post and do a basic windows screen as an emergency PCI card.

Just my two frames' worth as always.
May 23, 2007 8:12:53 PM

Thats the same card TheGreatGrape ape posted and with the same price(without the 40$ MIR) and that will run your games great the GDDR3 verison is the only X1650PRO you even wanna look at the GDDR2 are just too slow.

Take note the difference in memory clock speed between the two.

X1650PRO GDDR2 109$(without MIR) 69$ with 40$ MIR
Core 500mhz
Memory 800mhz

X1650PRO GDDR3 109$(without MIR) 94$ with 15$ MIR
Core 450Mhz
Memory 1300Mhz***(thats a full 500mhz faster than the GDDR2 version)

Go with the X1650PRO GDDR3 and you wont be disappointed.
May 23, 2007 8:51:52 PM

great... a monkey wrench has been thrown into the formula.

I have a 5900XT AGP here with a bad heatsink... all that it would cost is to replace the heatsink. But being so old, I cannot find a replacement.

bah... this is making my head spin.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2007 10:17:41 PM

Quote:

Go with the X1650PRO GDDR3 and you wont be disappointed.

Waste of money. For that price, might as well just start the upgrade now.

$65 is just shy of his previous option and a huge boost, your option is almost twice the original price and comparitively little boost in performance for the $25 extra.

So for what he's planning to use it for (a temporary solution) the added cost of the GDDR3 model isn't worth it. And for resale the recap value I'd rather try to make back closer to the $65 than the $95.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2007 10:27:25 PM

Quote:

I have a 5900XT AGP here with a bad heatsink... all that it would cost is to replace the heatsink. But being so old, I cannot find a replacement.

Well that's a good option if ou're comfortable with it.
There are a few solutions out there for GF5900XTs, but considering that it's not a 'cool' GPU, it means a good HSF is required. There are a bunch out there in the $20-25 range, so it's also an option, and would save you some money, but with significantly worse performance than before, limited features, and low resale of course.

Quote:
bah... this is making my head spin.

Yeah it's not easy, but it's better to have alot of good options, than to be forced to pick ones that aren't very atractive.
May 23, 2007 10:45:37 PM

Just buy another 9800Pro.

Link.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2007 11:40:12 PM

Yeah for $26 there's a nice cheap HIS Excalibur IceQ there. 8)
!