Dialup problem in Mint9

I've been using wvdial with a us robotics external dialup modem in Mint9, and everything worked fine until a few days ago. Now I can't connect--am getting error code 16: "The link was terminated by the modem hanging up"

I'm stuck--haven't made any changes, no new sw installed, nothing. Any tips on how to fix? Any log or config files I should check?

Thanks for help!
8 answers Last reply
More about dialup problem mint9
  1. whats the output of "sudo wvdial" ? Check "/var/log/messages" look for "pppd"
  2. Mu33rto said:
    whats the output of "sudo wvdial" ? Check "/var/log/messages" look for "pppd"

----The output in terminal when I try to connect by typing wvdial:---

Connect 49333/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS
    Carrier detected, waiting for prompt.
    CVX Access Switch.
    Access is restricted to authorized users only.
    Login:
    -Looks like a login prompt
    -sending: guest
    Password:
    -Looks like a password prompt.
    -Sending: (password)
    -Valid commands are:
    -Quit: hang up and disconnect
    -Help List valid commands
    Hmm..a prompt. Sending “ppp”
    Ppp
    ‘ppp’ is not a valid command.
    Valid commands are:
    Quit: Hang up and disconnect
    Help list valid commands
    [this recurs 2 more times, then:]
    Don’t know3 what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
    Starting pppd at Mon Apr 9 08:09:09 2012-04-09 Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
    PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
    Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission denied.
    CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.
    Pid of pppd: 2228
    Using interface ppp0
    Pppd: [symbols]
    Disconnecting
    The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code=16)

------Here's from /var/log/messages file:------
    Ppp 2.4.5 started by tyler-9, uid 1000
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0<-->/dev/ttyACMO
    LCP: timeout sending config-Requests
    Connection terminated
    Modem hangup
    Exit

AND:
    ----Also in /var/log, I also checked the messages1 file------
    Here’s the message1 output from last week when I *was* connecting as normal:

Pppd 2.4.5 started by tyler-9, uid1000
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0>/dev/ttyACMO
    Local IP address xx.xx.xx.xxx
    Remote IP address xx.xx.xx.x
    Primary DNS address xx.xx.xx.xx
    Secondary DNS address xx.xx.xxx.xx
    CCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

So comparing the above outputs fr/messages vs message1 files: In messages, it says “ppp 2.4.5 started” but in messages1 it’s “pppd 2.4.5”—could this difference explain the problem?

Thanks for help!
  3. Does the user you are using have permission to access the files that need to be read while running wvdial? Cuz I'm seeing two Permission denied in those log files. Instead of trying to fix something thats broken. Backup "/etc/wvdial.conf" file then either reinstall wvdial or see if there is an updated version. Also try running the command as superuser to see if you still get those error msg..

Also is that user in the dialout group?
  4. Mu33rto said:
    Does the user you are using have permission to access the files that need to be read while running wvdial? Cuz I'm seeing two Permission denied in those log files. Instead of trying to fix something thats broken. Backup "/etc/wvdial.conf" file then either reinstall wvdial or see if there is an updated version. Also try running the command as superuser to see if you still get those error msg..

Also is that user in the dialout group?

Yes, the user has permission and is in dialout group. It's been working fine for over 1-yr, and have made no changes. The problem just started for some reason I can't figure out--no new sw installed, no upgrades, etc.

Probably best to reinstall, instead of wasting hours troubleshooting--

Thx for replies--
  5. Last time I heard of that one was when a client of ours had moved to a VOIP phone system. Companies frequently forget that people still use dial up connections.

Have you tried a handset in the phone socket your using and dialling the number manually?
  6. audiovoodoo said:
    Last time I heard of that one was when a client of ours had moved to a VOIP phone system. Companies frequently forget that people still use dial up connections.

Have you tried a handset in the phone socket your using and dialling the number manually?

I get a standard dial tone when I plug phone into the same jack the modem is plugged into.
  7. And if you dial the same number the modem is set to dial?
  8. audiovoodoo said:
    And if you dial the same number the modem is set to dial?

I get the usual static screech and audio tones as the receiving modem attempts a handshake.
Ask a new question

Read More

Dialup Modem