DSL Services and damn near hair pulling multiplayer lag

Gourmet

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Hi all,
I am fairly new to Tom's forum in general, but I figured that I could ask for help and poke my head around a few corners. Getting to the main point ... I seem to be having some problems with multiplayer in the sense of getting horrific lag. I play games like Titan Quest or Rome: Total War and the way that the lag gets in big kick ass warfare, the game starts to lag and I am wondering how much the lag has to do with my internet connection, my firewall, porting, and the specifications on my computer. I hate lag and if I could, I would not deal with it at all because I've experienced years of lagginess on my computer and on my internet (all of which make me sometimes want to pull my hair out).
I mean how much does firewalls effect multiplayer when you play in some games? Say you turn off your firewall (like I do sometimes) and play my game? I have DSL internet service, and I use SBC Global for my wireless server. My Linksys USB Adaptor is a 2.4 GHz 802.11b connection and the speed is 11mbps. Is this technology almost up there as the hair pulling/stone aged 28.8K and 56K modems? I don't exactly know what I'm saying, but someone once told me that the small little router box thingy was primitive DSL technology and said something about newer router boxes that could receive and send greater signals at higher speeds. He also said something about crappy internet services, to which I might need to switch off and fix.
When I play my multiplayer games, I usually close off my browsers and any CPU strangling programs, yet there is still lag. My computer is an HP a255c and has 2.66Ghz, an Intel Pentium 4 Process (which I hate), 512 MB DDR SDRAM, 120 gigs of hard drive space (4.87 gigs of free space), and an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro AGP. Usually I put my settings on the lowest to get maximum performance, and I just wanted to know if any of you were gamers out there and could point somethings out for me. Any advice would be apreciated ...