ArchLinux or LinuxMint

mostefanafis

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I have been using Redhat linux for quite sometime... but didn't try other distros of linux, like Ubuntu or Debian.
I now want to install install linux alongside with Windows 7 but I am not sure which linux is similar to Redhat in commands and architecture.

I have heard a lot about Arch linux and LinuxMint ( i am quite impressed from LinuxMint) Any suggestion?

Regards

Mostefa

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
ArchLinux is pretty advanced, so unless you're very confident in your skills, I'd stay away.

Mint is pretty nice, but is Debian based. Debian is worth checking out.

Some RedHat based distributions are CentOS and Fedora. You may want to look into those.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

Since you want to stay close to RedHat's flavor you probably want to try Fedora. I'm assuming you're looking for a desktop spin and not a server spin.

Mint is an Ubuntu descendant, which is in turn a Debian descendant.

Mu33rto

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I would choose either slackware or arch. You will gain more knowledge about linux if you do decide to go that route. Both have good documentation but arch linux is more of a cutting edge distro compared to slackware. I too started with Redhat 10+ years ago then migrated to slackware then archlinux and finally settled with Gentoo.

Both slackware and arch will require that you frequent the forums to solve any issues you might have or to soak in info you might need down the line. If you like to tweak the system to the point were it fails then will have to figure out what went wrong and fix it then Arch might be good. If you just want a distro that runs fine without any headaches you might want to stay clear of these type of distros.

mostefanafis

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Thanks for all replies.
What I want is learn Linux at very low level so I should for ArchLinux. I came to know that when you install Arch it comes with very limited functionality and most packages are required to be installed manually, which ofcourse makes it the very performing.

Please suggest which version of Arch to start with and can i install it alongside with windows 7? I have been trying to Install LinuxMint 12 with Windows 7 but unfortunately it was unable to detect the partition which is made unallocated from in Windows.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Just speaking from experience, dual booting doesn't really help with moving to Linux. If you want to make the transition, it's best to just hunker down and go full out. Having Windows installed just enables you to use it.

Mu33rto

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

exactly

Get the Netinstall version which will grab all the new pkgs available.

Both of these website will help you find the pkgs you need if you don't find them using the packman command.
https://aur.archlinux.org/
http://pkgs.org/

Also a couple of months ago arch had an issue updating a certain pkg so you had to force install it. I don't remember the name of it but if you run into that issue you will have to force install with pacman.

Also iproute2 will install by default so if you like using ifconfig or iwconfig make sure to select those pkgs when installing or else you are going to go bonkers trying to learn a new cmds just for networking.
*CRDA
*net-tools
*wireless_tools
*wireless-regdb

shammancer

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I installed arch recently on a 15 year old computer I would do it again that said. If you have another computer keep it on the tutorial on the wiki is Amazing!

I was worried about the feel of the cli interface except when it comes down to it all the commands are the same.

You can now choose all the programs you want.

rjq

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Archlinux is actually easier than it looks like, unless you have some troublesome hardaware in which case any Linux would cause some issues, the only warning here is that is petty addictive, once you feel the power of installing your own "flavor" it would be quite difficult not to keep reinstalling just for the fun of it. ;)

mostefanafis

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Thank you all for your replies, it is pretty useful... I made my mind to go for Archlinux but i need a way to use all windows application on arch like using VMware... but i am not sure if it will stable or not...

Any suggestion in converting my windows 7 installed machine in Vmware machine?