Adapting to Linux/Unix OSneed somew help and guides.

Hey folks :hello:

I am highly interested in learning Linux OS and its variants due to several factors most important employment opportunity's. I am familiar with ubuntu, Mint and Backtrack. However I would like to go in deeper. Can anyone recommend a good book, school if possible (Im in New York City area) and website to help me get up to pace with these OS? I know I won't become pro over night but I am building another system and looking for ways to advance my career. I would like to use Unix/Linux based system for it. I am trying to expand my knowledge of other OS outside of Windows and OSX. Thanks in advance! :bounce:
4 answers Last reply
More about adapting linux unix osneed somew guides
  1. Try Linux Cookbook & Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming
  2. Mu33rto said:
    Try Linux Cookbook & Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming

Thanks for reply sorry took long, These books are newbie friendly? I just started learning about Linux commands. On avergae 3 hr a day study how long it takes average user to become more advanced in these systems? Sorry if it sounds weird.
  3. Pretty easy.

It's like those Photoshop for Dummies books.

Just lots of memory required. :)

As with anything.
  4. Do what I did. I just checked out all the linux/unix books from my college. Or find a friend that goes to college and have them check out the books for you. I don't know if you will find many linux/unix books in public libraries.

The best way to learn is to do. So remove windows and install linux. Or setup a virtual machine with various linux distros. Try slackware, archlinux, gentoo, and CentOS. Once you learn how to use harder distros the others will become easier to use.
Ask a new question

Read More

Unix Linux