Sign in with
Your question

Adapting to Linux/Unix OSneed somew help and guides.

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 21, 2012 3:21:09 PM

Hey folks :hello: 

I am highly interested in learning Linux OS and its variants due to several factors most important employment opportunity's. I am familiar with ubuntu, Mint and Backtrack. However I would like to go in deeper. Can anyone recommend a good book, school if possible (Im in New York City area) and website to help me get up to pace with these OS? I know I won't become pro over night but I am building another system and looking for ways to advance my career. I would like to use Unix/Linux based system for it. I am trying to expand my knowledge of other OS outside of Windows and OSX. Thanks in advance! :bounce: 
April 29, 2012 3:49:24 AM

Try Linux Cookbook & Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming
m
l
April 30, 2012 1:45:14 PM

Mu33rto said:
Try Linux Cookbook & Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming

Thanks for reply sorry took long, These books are newbie friendly? I just started learning about Linux commands. On avergae 3 hr a day study how long it takes average user to become more advanced in these systems? Sorry if it sounds weird.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
April 30, 2012 4:36:27 PM

Pretty easy.

It's like those Photoshop for Dummies books.

Just lots of memory required. :) 

As with anything.
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:57:37 PM

Do what I did. I just checked out all the linux/unix books from my college. Or find a friend that goes to college and have them check out the books for you. I don't know if you will find many linux/unix books in public libraries.

The best way to learn is to do. So remove windows and install linux. Or setup a virtual machine with various linux distros. Try slackware, archlinux, gentoo, and CentOS. Once you learn how to use harder distros the others will become easier to use.
m
l
!