Ansuru

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I've got it installed, fans are spinning, it's passing video information to my monitor, but Windows insists on pretending there's nothing there when I try to install the drivers.

I also get error messages claiming I'm running a 32 bit driver installer on a 64 bit system, followed by one saying that setup has detected that my operating system is NOT a 64 bit system and that the driver program is meant only for vista x64.

Running the installer in safe mode only gets an error claiming that it couldn't detect any hardware that needs the drivers.

I'm running Vista 64 HP, it IS the driver NVidia lists for the operating system, and my head is about to explode.

HELP!!

Ansuru

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Not even a suggestion? A "we need a little more info...tell us x, y, z" post?

-__-

I guess I'm taking it back. Screw Nvidia, ATI never pulled this kind of garbage.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I'm guessing you got the wrong driver for your card. Are you sure you didn't download a driver that was for the 8800 only. Either that or you don't really have a 64bit OS, right click on 'My Computer' and see for sure.

Ansuru

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Done both multiple times. I have exactly what I said I have, unless NVidia has mislabeled their driver, which seems to be working fine for others since there's no major outcry.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Maybe, did you upgrade to Vista64, or was it a clean install. What does the "HP" mean that you write beside Vista 64?

What's the filename of the driver?

Ansuru

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Home Premium.

And I solved it. It's all Asus' bloody fault, shipping brand new motherboards with 6 month old BIOS files that can't even run the bloody PCIe slot right.

Just further proof that beating your forehead against a brick wall DOES eventually produce results, however much blood you lose in the process ^_^

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one.
Yes you always want to upgrade all your drivers after boot and first Windows install. The problem is they make the parts so far in advance that no one can keep up the drivers that come with the parts

Ansuru

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Drivers I've always updated. I've never once in the past had to muddle through replacing my BIOS.

They have made it easier since my last computer, though...run a program in windows, select the new bios.bin file, reboot and fap to the pretty graphics.

The manual on my old motherboard had some happy dance with bootable floppies flying through the air in miscellaneous random directions while doing a rain dance and praying to baby Jesus' leftover spaghetti for success.