G

I was trying to reformat my xp system and I got this error after I restarted "NTLDR is missing." I have my XP disk in and it's booting from cd but when it asks "press any key to boot from cd" and I press something, it freezes then I need to restart. If I don't press anything it just gives me the "NTLDR is missing." What do I do?

If you have a floppy drive make sure there is no disk in the drive.

Make sure your bios setup boot seguence is set CDROM 1st boot, HDD 2nd boot, disable any other boot options.

If all else fails, download a diagnostic disk creator from your HDDs website, and run a disk wipe utility, to completely erase the HDD of all data including old boot records.

mdma35

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
if you have more than one HDD in BIOS make sure in HDD priority settings that the HDD with OS in the first option if you have only one listen to 4ryan6
this problem can also be fixed from XP Bootble cd- press on 'Repair' and then copy from cd to the root directory of your primary harddrive two files from the i386 folder NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM as i can see you cant even start the installation just replace the hard drive i think its the problem