Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard Shortcuts not working in Word

Last response: in Apps General Discussion
Anonymous
October 24, 2009 5:21:37 AM

After some kids where playing with my laptop, some of the keyboard shortcuts stopped working in Word 2007. Actually it's Ctr+Z, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+S, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. Although the alternative combination for "select all" still works "Ctrl+Num5".

Although, at the same time, all shortcuts are working properly in Excel or Powerpoint.

I tried reseting the custom shortcuts but the button is greyed out, so there must have not been made any changes there.
Then I copied fresh all the templates (norma.dot, normal.dotm etc.)
The last thing was to uninstall Office completely, follow the steps for manual uninstall and deleted all files/registry keys relevant to office and reinstalled but still the problem remains.

Any suggestions plz?
Anonymous
February 25, 2010 8:19:02 AM

Hi, I do have the same problem. Can anybody help solving it?
April 12, 2010 10:59:05 AM

I had the exact problem and after some headache this is what worked

Go to word options (small arrow down at the top> more commands)

Then go to Customize> Keyboard shortcuts Customize

In the left windows, find All Commands.
Then, in the right one find copy text

Assign to it the keys Ctrl+C and then save changes and close word.

Reopen the program and unless all the shortcuts not yet working, go back to the same place and press the button on the top to reset all assignments.

Restart word again and it made the trick for me.
Related resources
April 17, 2010 1:06:30 AM

The other thing is to password your laptop and don't let kids use it. It's not a toy.
Anonymous
July 1, 2011 7:32:09 PM

Quote:
Hi, I do have the same problem. Can anybody help solving it?

Just has the same problem on my acer laptop (Timeline 3820T). I changed the keyboard and it works, so it might be that the wrong drivers are installed for the keyboard. Acer support sucks bigtime, it works much much slower than my older HP. Terribly disappointed with the Acer.
March 12, 2012 4:24:16 AM

Quote:
Just has the same problem on my acer laptop (Timeline 3820T). I changed the keyboard and it works, so it might be that the wrong drivers are installed for the keyboard. Acer support sucks bigtime, it works much much slower than my older HP. Terribly disappointed with the Acer.

" Terribly disappointed with the Acer "

That probably makes a few millions of us

"Acer support sucks bigtime"

Couldn't have said it better..

July 6, 2014 6:32:13 PM

My keyboard shortcuts such as Cntl B for bold were not working. All I did was exchange out keyboards and now they are working. Guess old keyboards can just give out. I had tried everything under the sun, but this worked perfectly. All keyboard shortcuts working perfectly.
!