Sign in with
Your question

OS Install Options

Tags:
  • Servers
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 25, 2012 12:09:52 PM

I’m building a workstation which I plan to give some server duties. This is more an experimentation/learning exercise but I would like to follow correct protocols and have a stable system. The server would act as a NAS and I’d like to be able to access remotely via the internet (cloud?). I’d have some 3-4 computers on the network, maybe more.

My question; what is the best/most efficient way to install Ubuntu Server? Should I run it stand alone or through VMware via Windows 7? What are the pros and cons? I’m new to all this so please pardon any nonsense I speak.

The system will be based around a Xeon E3, Intel 520 SSD and Asus P8B WS motherboard. PSU is Seasonic 560W Gold.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

More about : install options

April 25, 2012 6:02:37 PM

I would install your favorite linux distro as the base and use xfce desktop environment. The goal is to have the least amount of resources been used by the system. Then install Ubuntu Server as a virtual machine.

Pros: are that you will gain flexibility that you wont get using any other method. Able to create new vm without interrupting ubuntu server. Have the ability of using snapshots of virtual machine. Only have to worry about backing essential file like vm disk files. Linux base will use a lot less resources than a windows base setup. If main OS goes down you can boot with live distro and point virtual machine software to external backup or whatever you have it and have almost 0 down time.

Cons: Don't let the main OS go down. You have to worry about not breaking the main OS. (but you should have a backup ready to go right)

m
l
April 25, 2012 10:46:58 PM

That sounds like a good plan. I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice mu33rto.
m
l
April 28, 2012 4:27:46 PM

Yes use something like debian stable for base OS. Will stay up long time. No breaking things!
m
l
!