8600 not in tom's vga chart!why?

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
sorry for posting this but i'm kinda annoyed
This page is updated on a regular basis and provides a unique resource for everybody who is looking for a graphics card. Our new service is free and allows for interactive performance comparison.
i just wanted to compare my old 6600gt with 8600 gt to see the numbers...fps and ..yaks where the !@#$ is 8600 gt in tom's vga chart?
maybe this a petty issue but i consider this site my number one source on info and so on ...
why i have to look somewhere else for a info that i was certain i will find it at tom's?

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
i've wondered this, too: sometimes there are just mysterious gaps in the charts where common components should be... for example you cant find an e6300 or 4300 in the cpu charts. i've never known why.

sorry for posting this but i'm kinda annoyed....
why i have to look somewhere else for a info that i was certain i will find it at tom's?

Annoyed? :?:

I suggest you make the effort and read some reviews.

The chart is to make it easier for dumba$$es who need colourful graphs, but it takes time to make.

If you're so impatient do your own research and stop being so lazy and whiney, it annoys the rest of us. :roll:

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
yeah, lets be civil. he does have a point, though. i remember back when i first joined, the charts would be updated like more than once a month...! it was crazy, the charts were really something that i could trust. i don't think that this most recent incarnation has been kept up as well... but i suppose thats understandable if the officials at Tom's would rather work on beautifying the site and what not.... :roll: :cry:

Here is a link for you. You will still need to do your own research but this will give you a good start.

Just ingnore the big bad purple ape.......his cartoon was cancelled in 1978 and he has never gotten over it. :wink:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=513&card2=187

The funny thing about the site you link to is that it's all opinion, no good benchies other than raw fillrates and bandwidth.

It shows the GF6600GT to be the better card over the GF8600GT in all areas including performance.
It's a good spec reference, but I wouldn't use if for performance ideas.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Here is another good link. They compare the 8600GT to the 7600GT. They also talk about the 6600GT. In this review (the link for the conclusion is below) is that the 7600GT is much better than the 8600GT. According to this review the 8600GT is a dud.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=637&p=5

Below is a link for the 7600GT VS the 6600GT done about a year ago.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=556

Grape Ape if you look below there are links for reviews of the cards. It might not compare the 6600GT to the 8600GT directly but it provides some reference. Also the links above should help him out a lot more.

Having a bad day I see.

No, fine here, just see no point in the OP being 'annoyed' and bitching about having to go elsewhere. I say go, but first tell me where else there is an updated list? There's only one other big list like this and they skipped 3 months there, so unless the OP knows it I doubt he has anywhere else to go.

The OP, like many, obviously doesn't know the time it takes to benchmark cards obviously, and those who care most about the VGA charts are those who grip about them the most and understand them the least.

Do you, me, or most others in the forum even look at the charts anymore other than to see the anomalies for a laugh? I don't like them but I understand their place, just like reader's digests.

They are best used by people who don't know why a 256MB X1900XT is better than a 512MB 1600Pro despite the memory size difference, but need to buy something quick without any effort.

Also the links above should help him out a lot more.

That's my point, reviews are what tell people the GF8600GT offers and misses on. The chart just show you myopic slices.

I consider the VGA charts slightly improved on what BestBuy / FutureShop and many other stores used to tape to their countertops, and that's the latest 3Dmark scores from the latest THG review.

Without the proper guidance people will see great GF8600GT performance in a handful of benchies and conclude that it's a great performer and then come back here in 2-3 weeks and ask why their new GF8600GTS isn't outperforming their old GF7900GTX/X1950Pro like the 3Dmark benchies said it would.

Those reviews at the bottom of the list are good, but I challenge you to find one with the GF8600GT against the GF6600GT that the page itself compares in an pseudo empirical fashion.

The most important part about it is the link to reviews that give the larger picture.

Even then, with the driver releases anything static like those reviews even becomes outdated pretty quickly.

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
thanks for the links
it is good to know that are a few guys here at tom's that are eager to help.thanks again
Annoyed?

I suggest you make the effort and read some reviews.

The chart is to make it easier for dumba$$es who need colourful graphs, but it takes time to make.

If you're so impatient do your own research and stop being so lazy and whiney, it annoys the rest of us.
what happened to you TheGreatGrapeApe i'm, used to see you a good helpful member of the comunity...
it may turn out that you have a point but..c'mon let's not be so harsh shall we?
thanks to caamsa all is clear to me now
btw it is not about beeing lazy and whiney because u know i'm not i did my research ,the point was why i can not see a good chart at tom's?

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
and to make clear the things a bit
i was looking to make a comparation between 2 graphic cards just to show the numbers to a friend of mine who was eager to make his buy
Club3d8600gt
well i can do my own research without bitchin' but some people just don't have time to do it or they don't know jack about it so...
btw i'm not scared od purple apes caamsa
to me a kick in the back is an step forward...
anticupidon
ps it is good to be home here at tom's