Sign in with
Your question

Looks like we're definitely getting Steam (and some games)!

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 25, 2012 7:43:30 PM

If only performance was the same as Windows... :/ 

Guess I can't rely on Linux as a work platform anymore.
m
l
April 25, 2012 7:57:03 PM

I'm sure performance will come with time. It's obviously still early in development. Regardless, most games that I've ever played on PC run at framerates magnitudes higher than necessary, so I'm not too worried.
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2012 8:07:43 PM

Nevertheless it's a nice development for Linux. No doubt having Valve support Linux will propel it into the spotlight. Nice seeing the effects of Steam for the Mac.

m
l
May 4, 2012 1:10:55 AM

Not a huge fan of EA as a company, but at least it sets a good precedent for other developers. Anything is a step forward at this point.
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:38:33 AM

EA - As in those lovely people that sold iOS apps that they just pulled out from under people?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2012/may/...

Having just read the update they are now claiming that the message sent to users was in error but they did pick up a lot of flack. Personally I suspect the 'internal issue' was the PR department waking up to the amount of bad press in generated.

m
l
May 8, 2012 7:39:32 PM

Sweet! I was just thinking about making a gaming build, now it may not need windows! :D 
m
l
May 8, 2012 9:56:23 PM

Good move EA, we all know how well Flash and Linux get along :D 
m
l
May 8, 2012 10:04:04 PM

Tiberium Alliances gives you... brain damage.

It's a moronically shameful copy of Farmville with the C&C IP.

Not that I've played Farmville...

I promise. :D 
m
l
May 8, 2012 11:06:01 PM

Pyroflea said:
Good move EA, we all know how well Flash and Linux get along :D 

Lol I got that! Love the new picture btw amd.
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:00:13 AM

amdfangirl said:
Tiberium Alliances gives you... brain damage.

It's a moronically shameful copy of Farmville with the C&C IP.

Not that I've played Farmville...

I promise. :D 

That makes me sad. I was always a closet fan of the C&C series.
m
l
May 9, 2012 1:28:34 AM

^ You attack enemies in waves.

Units are static, can't be micro'ed.

What can you expect from a browser game?

Fenrir190 said:
Love the new picture btw amd.

It was made using proprietary software :D .

Do I hear "Burn the witch?"
m
l
May 10, 2012 11:38:15 PM

No, just get her to pay for a full upgrade to CS6 ;-)
m
l
May 15, 2012 3:24:03 AM

Quote:
It was made using proprietary software :D .

Do I hear "Burn the witch?"

... Maybe... jk lol. I do dislike proprietary software however... :(  But as long as it's used to make funky avatars then it's cool ;) 
m
l
May 15, 2012 5:46:46 AM

I did all my training with Photoshop back in 2003 when I was 9 :) 
m
l
June 3, 2012 7:46:49 AM

Once games like Batman: Arkham City and Empire: Total War work out of the box in Steam on my Debian GNU/Linux box, I'm ditching Windows permanently.
m
l
June 5, 2012 1:25:20 AM

Colonel_Panic said:
Once games like Batman: Arkham City and Empire: Total War work out of the box in Steam on my Debian GNU/Linux box, I'm ditching Windows permanently.

I'm in the same boat. There are VERY few applications keeping me on Windows (mostly related to school, but after next semester they will be gone forever, muahaha!). Once we get some good games going on, I will make do and switch permanently. I got a good setup going on in Virtualbox :D 

Also, this year!?
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEx...
m
l
June 6, 2012 12:02:43 PM

I'm not a gamer (not bought a game since the days of my Spectrum!) but am interested to see the growing support for Linux as a gaming platform. The thing I'm wondering is why now?

Do people see this as insurance from Win 8 and the dumbing down of Windows? I've not read any performance reviews for games on Win8 but once drivers mature I can't see there really being that much difference over Win7 for the same HW. Is it a move to allow distribution independent of the Xbox / playstation mechanisms in a market where manufacturers seem to be locking down platforms? Or is it that we now see games companies looking at trying to deliver a platform independent offering via cloud models where end users can consume on anything from a phone to a desktop??

Personally I suspect the move will be to micro media playing machines acting as home hubs. If they can get good game support and Skype / Netflix integration with a nice UI skin then they could seriously undercut the likes of 720 and PS3 which might be more attractive to many users in the present economic climate.
m
l
June 6, 2012 3:46:57 PM

I don't game nearly as much as I used to, but it would be nice to have the option to play some games without being forced to use Windows; that's the reason I'm interested.

audiovoodoo said:
Personally I suspect the move will be to micro media playing machines acting as home hubs. If they can get good game support and Skype / Netflix integration with a nice UI skin then they could seriously undercut the likes of 720 and PS3 which might be more attractive to many users in the present economic climate.

My theory is that Valve is planning on doing just this. There were the rumors of the "Steam Box" which would be running on PC hardware. If they ran a super stripped down Linux distro with a fancy console-esque UI, the hardware requirements could be somewhat lower, dropping the price of the unit.
m
l
!