Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Hey all,

I have just reinstalled Vista 64-Bit and it is surprisingly slow on boot. Because of the fact that this is a fresh install and due to my build config (q6600, 4 GB RAM, etc) I would have thought that this would not be the case.

Not even sure if this is the right thread to be posting this in but if anyone has suggestions as to why maybe the problem, if there is any problem, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Oh and what should I do with my Windows Old folder containing files from my previous install. Can I get rid of it?

arges86

Distinguished
whats your deff. of slow?
How long does the boot up process take?
if you copy this code into notepad and save it as a .vbs it will tell you how long your boot up time is (i didn't write this, just found it elsewhere)(it will restart your pc):

Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next
Dim Wsh, Time1, Time2, Result, PathFile, MsgResult, MsgA, AppName, KeyA, KeyB, TimeDiff
MsgA = "Please close all running applications and click on OK."
KeyA = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RestartTime\"
KeyB = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\RestartTime"
AppName = "ReBoot-Time"
Set Wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
PathFile = """" & WScript.ScriptFullName & """"
Result = wsh.RegRead(KeyA & "Times")
if Result = "" then
MsgResult = Msgbox (MsgA, vbOKCancel, AppName)
If MsgResult = vbcancel then WScript.Quit
Wsh.RegWrite KeyA & "Times", left(Time,8), "REG_SZ"
Wsh.RegWrite KeyB, PathFile, "REG_SZ"
Wsh.Run "cmd /c Shutdown -r -t 00", false, 0
else
Wsh.RegDelete KeyA & "Times"
Wsh.RegDelete KeyA
Wsh.RegDelete KeyB
TimeDiff = DateDiff("s",Result,left(Time,8))
MsgBox "Your computer reboots in " & TimeDiff & " seconds", VbInformation, AppName
end if
wscript.Quit

lastly, when u install an OS, you should really reformat your harddrive so there are no old folders on it form a previous install. this way there are no chance of old or conflicting windows folders

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
is this a new install on a new cpu ? if so what was your last cpu ?

The q6600 doesnt run at a very high frequency (unless you overclock it then it becomes a real winner), im not sure when the multi-core/multi thread stuff kicks in while booting vista.

Does it seem to stall at any point when booting ? does all your hardware show up fine in device manager ?

how long does it take ?

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
it is a new install but on an old CPU. Hardware is all fine in the device manager, although Vista is telling me I have a floppy disk drive. So how do I reformat the HDD?

Loads times are: 30 seconds on load screen with the green bar, then 20 seconds of black (this could be the stall you were talking about Lee-m) then it takes about 1m 30 secs - 2mins to go from the welcome screen to loading a Browser, with the desktop loading very slowly.

When I last installed Vista, this stuff was almost instant.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
you can turn the floppy drive off in the BIOS, just set it to disabled, its normaly on the same screen as the hard drive info/settings.

run msconfig.exe and look at 'startup' and get rid of some stuff you dont like the look of and see if that helps.
Have you done a virus/malware scan ?

It could be a network problem, check ur tcp/ip settings.

Thats pretty much all I can think of with out more info. Maybe check event viewer for problems. How much ram do you have?

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
How would network problems effect startup?

Tried msconfig, that didn't change anything, infact it may have made it worse. Boot up is not about 5 mins from welcome screen to desktop, with a blank screen inbetween. Is it possible that there is something wrong with the HDD. Maybe its not getting enough power or something?

Also, when I installed Vista surely I reformatted the Hard Drive at the same time? Cant remember it giving me an option to do anything else.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
you started by asking if you can delete your old windows folder, so im asuming you haven't formated.

If its an option, maybe you should try a reformat/clean install.

Ipconflicts and network problems offten cause windows to boot slowly, and in some cases hang in places. This applys more to domain servers etc... but iv had desktop machines take an age to boot with bad network configs.

unless anyone else has any ideas, im pretty much out on this one.

Since you have a windows.old folder you probably did not re-partition and reformat, unless Vista moved your old files over to another partition and I don't think it will even do that.

I would try again and this time when to get to the drive selection screen DELETE the old partition first.

I don't know if this will help but it might. You should also make the initial install as simple as possible and unhook any external USB drives and the like.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
AH thanks guys. notherdude you have hit the nail on the head :)

When I reinstalled Windows all I did was select the CDrive (Where previous install was)

So instead I have to delete this do I? Then reintall on the empty drive?

TRENDING THREADS