How do I change the "File type" back to the defaul?

For some reason, all my *.jpg files have the name "Omnipage Image Document"
in the 'File Type' column of Windows explorer.

How can I change this column back to "Jpg type"?.

Please help, Frank

Hi,

Open the Omnipage software, check its options to see if it has one that
makes it the default program for .jpg's. If so, undo it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
> For some reason, all my *.jpg files have the name "Omnipage Image
> Document" in the 'File Type' column of Windows explorer.
>
> How can I change this column back to "Jpg type"?.
>
> Please help, Frank

Greetings

Open My Computer
Tools-> folder options -> File type tab
Look for JPEG, JPG ...
Change the Opens With to the default -> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Hope his helps
Albatross Singh

"Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
> For some reason, all my *.jpg files have the name "Omnipage Image
> Document" in the 'File Type' column of Windows explorer.
>
> How can I change this column back to "Jpg type"?.
>
> Please help, Frank

Thanks I have tried this to no avail.
Is there something in the registry I can fix?

"Albatross Singh" <albatross_singh@hotREMOVE_CAPS_AND_INVALIDmail.com> wrote
in message news:ufiOiUGYFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> Thanks I have tried this to no avail.
> Is there something in the registry I can fix?

You might want to go to this web site:

Download and run the JPE/JPG/JPEG Association fix. Hopefully,
that will fix your problem.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

The problem with that fix is that there is a setting in the Omnipage
software that is overriding it. Until you undo it, it will continue to
resist any other attempts to change the default association.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
> Thanks I have tried this to no avail.
> Is there something in the registry I can fix?
>

> "Albatross Singh" <albatross_singh@hotREMOVE_CAPS_AND_INVALIDmail.com>
> wrote in message news:ufiOiUGYFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Greetings
>>
>> Open My Computer
>> Tools-> folder options -> File type tab
>> Look for JPEG, JPG ...
>> Change the Opens With to the default -> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
>>
>> Hope his helps
>> Albatross Singh
>>
>> "Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
>>> For some reason, all my *.jpg files have the name "Omnipage Image
>>> Document" in the 'File Type' column of Windows explorer.
>>>
>>> How can I change this column back to "Jpg type"?.
>>>
>>> Please help, Frank

Thanks for pointing that out. I should have known it wasn't going
to be that easy.

Nepatsfan

> The problem with that fix is that there is a setting in the
> Omnipage software that is overriding it. Until you undo it, it
> will continue to resist any other attempts to change the
> default association.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
>> Thanks I have tried this to no avail.
>> Is there something in the registry I can fix?
>>

>> "Albatross Singh"
>> <albatross_singh@hotREMOVE_CAPS_AND_INVALIDmail.com> wrote in
>> message news:ufiOiUGYFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> Open My Computer
>>> Tools-> folder options -> File type tab
>>> Look for JPEG, JPG ...
>>> Change the Opens With to the default -> Windows Picture and
>>> Fax Viewer.
>>>
>>> Hope his helps
>>> Albatross Singh
>>>
>>> "Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message

I tried this too, but seems to be no way to do this. I tried removing the
software (OmniPageSE - an ocr scanner) and reinstalling, but everything
remains the same.

> The problem with that fix is that there is a setting in the Omnipage
> software that is overriding it. Until you undo it, it will continue to
> resist any other attempts to change the default association.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
>> Thanks I have tried this to no avail.
>> Is there something in the registry I can fix?
>>

>> "Albatross Singh" <albatross_singh@hotREMOVE_CAPS_AND_INVALIDmail.com>
>> wrote in message news:ufiOiUGYFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> Open My Computer
>>> Tools-> folder options -> File type tab
>>> Look for JPEG, JPG ...
>>> Change the Opens With to the default -> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
>>>
>>> Hope his helps
>>> Albatross Singh
>>>
>>> "Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message

Hi Frank,

Check deep in the options/preferences of the program. Doug'd fix will likely
work (he's pretty good with this stuff), but it may be temporary and not
last beyond the next boot if Omnipage usurps the file association.

--

>I tried this too, but seems to be no way to do this. I tried removing the
>software (OmniPageSE - an ocr scanner) and reinstalling, but everything
>remains the same.

>> The problem with that fix is that there is a setting in the Omnipage
>> software that is overriding it. Until you undo it, it will continue to
>> resist any other attempts to change the default association.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Thanks I have tried this to no avail.
>>> Is there something in the registry I can fix?

EUREKA! this worked. I went to the site and downloaded the JPG/JPEG program
and then did as it said.

It has fixed them all. Very many thanks...........!