Harddrive not spinning until windows vista loads?

Reddy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005
Hey,
I have a Toshiba laptop 200 gig HDD, 3 gig ram, AMD turion, vista home premium and here's my problem. I thought vista was slow at loading, but my laptop is even slower and I figured out sort of why. When I power up my laptop, immediately after passing the bios loading screen the harddrive doesn't spinning (I cannot hear it, nor does the light show any activity). And yet the Vista loading screen pops up and the progress bar moves... and moves... and moves... and then (I haven't timed it) around a minute and a half, the harddrive kicks in and the progress bar moves some more... and moves... and moves. (about an additional minute). What happens AFTER that I'm not worried about in terms of speed it's just... How is is possible that vista says it's loading while my HDD isn't spinning? It wastes a lot of time.

G

Hello! I got exactly the same problem.. Ive tried to format my computer and installed a fresh install but i still takes about 2 min to get to win vista loading screen..

G

I thought it was something with boot.ini or somth that it was standing to "choose op with black screen.." Ive run chkdsk, no errors.. and the computer works great when I get into win..