Confusing unity in 12.04

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
i just installed VLC in ubuntu 12.04, and have stuck it on the launcher.
Thing is if i play some music on it, and then browse on firefox, i can't figure out how to get vlc on the fore-screen again....if i click on the VLC icon on the launcher, it opens another VLC!! after playing a few tracks i'd noticed 5 VLC cones on the top right corner!!!
So how exaclty do i get back to the first opened instance of VLC??

Also, if VLC is not maximized, i have to move my mouse all the way to the top bar to use Media->open file......this is so stupid.....how do i make it proper like on Windows??

Solution
That's odd. I haven't used Ubuntu 12.04 yet but the normal behavior when clicking on the app icon in unity is to switch to the running app. and if you want a second instance you would need to right click and say open new. does it only happen with vlc or does this happen with other apps as well on the unity launcher? If its just vlc I recommend filing a bug here.

this is how all GTK applications should work in gnome.

That's odd. I haven't used Ubuntu 12.04 yet but the normal behavior when clicking on the app icon in unity is to switch to the running app. and if you want a second instance you would need to right click and say open new. does it only happen with vlc or does this happen with other apps as well on the unity launcher? If its just vlc I recommend filing a bug here.

this is how all GTK applications should work in gnome.

Solution

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Guess what after nothing seemed to work, i just rebooted my system and now it works properly!!! the VLC in question was version 2.0.1.

Thanx for your replies guys, btw even ALT+tab thing works :)

TRENDING THREADS